RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Streaming only certain file types

Hi all

New member here so be nice :-P

I have my new box up and running after a few issues with my router ... as I'm sure a fair few people have had.

It's all running beautifully, remote access is working sort of ... my router doesn't like me using the domain name I've set up on the local network (I think more than a few people have this problem) and work won't let me install the active-x controls but those are seperate issues

The one problem I have is not being able to restrict users streaming certain types of media. I have everything on the server as I want to be able to access it from anywhere but I want to stop other users from doing the same. For example I want my brother to be able to log in and stream my music and pictures but to save bandwidth I don't want him to be able to stream the videos. Setting permissions works for the shared folders and they don't show up when he logs in but no matter what I do he is still able to access the videos via streaming.

I'm not a novice and have played around with every setting I can find. It's getting infuriating. I just hope the answer isn't so simple that it's embarrassing for me.

Thanks

Hi all

New member here so be nice :-P

I have my new box up and running after a few issues with my router ... as I'm sure a fair few people have had.

It's all running beautifully, remote access is working sort of ... my router doesn't like me using the domain name I've set up on the local network (I think more than a few people have this problem) and work won't let me install the active-x controls but those are seperate issues

The one problem I have is not being able to restrict users streaming certain types of media. I have everything on the server as I want to be able to access it from anywhere but I want to stop other users from doing the same. For example I want my brother to be able to log in and stream my music and pictures but to save bandwidth I don't want him to be able to stream the videos. Setting permissions works for the shared folders and they don't show up when he logs in but no matter what I do he is still able to access the videos via streaming.

I'm not a novice and have played around with every setting I can find. It's getting infuriating. I just hope the answer isn't so simple that it's embarrassing for me.

Thanks

Welcome to the forums. You are correct. It is a bug as far as I can tell. The only workaround that I know of is to move the videos to a standard share, set the permissions and do not set them as media. You can still still stream but with no transcoding so it will be more bandwidth dependent.

"It is a bug as far as I can tell."

Microsoft forums indicate the root cause is the DLNA specification does not allow for such and not to anticipate a fix until DLNA adjusts the standard