RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Rebuild WHS v1 or WHS 2011?

bondisdead

Okay, here goes with a long explanation. ;-) I have been a WHS v1 user since it first came out. Was on the beta, then ponyied up for the software when it was priced at $180 (or so). I originally built on a motherboard that I had lying around, but ended up upgrading to an ASUS P5Q-E motherboard as it had alot of SATA ports (8 + eSATA). Over the last two years, I have had a pretty high number of file conflicts, drive failures, dead drives, etc. I kind of supsected a hardware problem other than the drives, as when I pulled the drive, it would test perfectly in another system (using vendor HDD tests). Anyways, this past week one of the SATA ports just died. WHS Console reported a missing drive, so when I moved it to free SATA port, the drive came back! So, looks like a SATA port on the motherboard is bad. I am wondering whether there might be a problem in the motherboard that has been causing these bogus drive failures (bogus meaning that while the drive has file conflicts, bad sectors, etc., it still tests okay).

Anyways, I have decided to rebuild my WHS. I am either going with a Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3 (that was already mentioned on the home page of this web-site) or a Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3. I happened to pickup both boards at a good price. They both have a decent amount of built-in storage. Six SATA ports that can be put into RAID0/1/5/10 and two more SATA ports that can be put into RAID0/1.

My dilema is to rebuild the system as either a WHS v1 or a WHS 2011! The simplest would be to just redo the WHS v1 installation. I would ignore any RAID features, and install WHS v1 on a 2TB drive. I would setup all of the same stuff I currently have (add-ins, accounts, computers, etc), then use BDBB to recover the backups. I am not sure whether I would be able to just add the other drives back to the server, or whether I would need to copy all the data back. I guess I can do some research and find the most efficient way to get my 10TB of data (mostly blu-ray and DVD rips) back to the rebuilt-server. I was thinking of going this way as it was my understanding it would be quicker to get back up and running again.

Meanwhile, I selected the hardware to be ready to go with the latest WHS. I could put the six ports into a RAID5 array, and the other two ports in a RAID1 array. The RAID1 array would likely contain two 2TB drives, and would contain the WHS system partition. I also have a four-port software RAID card that I can use for RAID5. Assuming that I only have 2TB drives, I would have 10TB on the RAID5 array, 2TB on the RAID1 array (including system partition) and potentially 6TB on the 4-port software RAID card. I would then need to manage across four separate partitions: he onboard RAID5 would be one partition, the RAID1 would have two partitions (System and Extra) and the add-on RAID5 would be the last partition. Do I understand things correctly?

So there you go! Any suggestions of how I should proceed??

Thanks in advance for any feedback or alternate suggestions. :-)

BTW, thanks for hosting such a great forum, and for the awesome postcasts that I listen to every week!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pcdoc

• jmwills

• bondisdead

One question I would have is how much total data do you have along with available storage devices for a new build. If you decide to go with 2011, I would not put the OS on the 2TB drive but rather the minimalist 160 gig as required and then use the 2TB for data.

If you have a small collection of odd sized drives as do most of us, you can still use individual volumes and forego any RAID build or invest in new drives and go all out. The answer to your question, I think, really revolves around how much data you have.

My own build contains 2 @ 250 gig WD Black Caviar in a RAID 1 for the OS and another utility partition and 5 @ 2TB Samsung drives in a RAID 5 for backup and data along with 6 gigs carved out for the Paging File. Very happy with the new build.

One question I would have is how much total data do you have along with available storage devices for a new build. If you decide to go with 2011, I would not put the OS on the 2TB drive but rather the minimalist 160 gig as required and then use the 2TB for data.

If you have a small collection of odd sized drives as do most of us, you can still use individual volumes and forego any RAID build or invest in new drives and go all out. The answer to your question, I think, really revolves around how much data you have.

My own build contains 2 @ 250 gig WD Black Caviar in a RAID 1 for the OS and another utility partition and 5 @ 2TB Samsung drives in a RAID 5 for backup and data along with 6 gigs carved out for the Paging File. Very happy with the new build.

Thanks for the response! I have slowly migrated to almost entirely 2TB drives, with the exception of the original 1TB system drive and a 1.5TB drive. I would go with all 2TB drives, and have a couple of spares for the transition. Looking at my current data, I have about 10 TB of actual data (mostly Blu-Ray and DVD rips). Duplication is on for everything, other than the Blu-Ray, as that is just too costly. Of course that has burned me, as one of the drives that went out contained Blu-Ray rips! The one bad thing about ripping the discs as folders versus a single container file is that WHS can spread the data in the folder across drives, meaning that a single drive failure can effectivly bring down my ENTIRE Blu-Ray collection (ie. if that one bad drive contained a crucial file(s) from each of the Blu-Ray folder rips).

I like your suggestion of the smaller drives for OS only. So do you ignore the storage partition on that drive, or just not even create it (if that's an option). Would need to investigate how to do that Paging file. Where would this benefit? Couldn't you have put that on the extra partition that is on the OS drives?

Okay, here goes with a long explanation. ;-) I have been a WHS v1 user since it first came out. Was on the beta, then ponyied up for the software when it was priced at $180 (or so). I originally built on a motherboard that I had lying around, but ended up upgrading to an ASUS P5Q-E motherboard as it had alot of SATA ports (8 + eSATA). Over the last two years, I have had a pretty high number of file conflicts, drive failures, dead drives, etc. I kind of supsected a hardware problem other than the drives, as when I pulled the drive, it would test perfectly in another system (using vendor HDD tests). Anyways, this past week one of the SATA ports just died. WHS Console reported a missing drive, so when I moved it to free SATA port, the drive came back! So, looks like a SATA port on the motherboard is bad. I am wondering whether there might be a problem in the motherboard that has been causing these bogus drive failures (bogus meaning that while the drive has file conflicts, bad sectors, etc., it still tests okay).

Anyways, I have decided to rebuild my WHS. I am either going with a Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3 (that was already mentioned on the home page of this web-site) or a Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3. I happened to pickup both boards at a good price. They both have a decent amount of built-in storage. Six SATA ports that can be put into RAID0/1/5/10 and two more SATA ports that can be put into RAID0/1.

My dilema is to rebuild the system as either a WHS v1 or a WHS 2011! The simplest would be to just redo the WHS v1 installation. I would ignore any RAID features, and install WHS v1 on a 2TB drive. I would setup all of the same stuff I currently have (add-ins, accounts, computers, etc), then use BDBB to recover the backups. I am not sure whether I would be able to just add the other drives back to the server, or whether I would need to copy all the data back. I guess I can do some research and find the most efficient way to get my 10TB of data (mostly blu-ray and DVD rips) back to the rebuilt-server. I was thinking of going this way as it was my understanding it would be quicker to get back up and running again.

Meanwhile, I selected the hardware to be ready to go with the latest WHS. I could put the six ports into a RAID5 array, and the other two ports in a RAID1 array. The RAID1 array would likely contain two 2TB drives, and would contain the WHS system partition. I also have a four-port software RAID card that I can use for RAID5. Assuming that I only have 2TB drives, I would have 10TB on the RAID5 array, 2TB on the RAID1 array (including system partition) and potentially 6TB on the 4-port software RAID card. I would then need to manage across four separate partitions: he onboard RAID5 would be one partition, the RAID1 would have two partitions (System and Extra) and the add-on RAID5 would be the last partition. Do I understand things correctly?

So there you go! Any suggestions of how I should proceed??

Thanks in advance for any feedback or alternate suggestions. :-)

BTW, thanks for hosting such a great forum, and for the awesome postcasts that I listen to every week!

Personally I would not spend the time with V1 unless you have a very modest need. If you are going to pile that many drives in you will end up with more effective and protected storage with V2. The only I will tell you as I have stated a bunch of times in the forums, get a controller and skip the motherboard except for mirrors.

Personally I would not spend the time with V1 unless you have a very modest need. If you are going to pile that many drives in you will end up with more effective and protected storage with V2. The only I will tell you as I have stated a bunch of times in the forums, get a controller and skip the motherboard except for mirrors.

Interesting. Following the podcast, I thought the consensus was for small systems 2001 and for larger setups v1. I am inclined to go ahead with 2011, but I am curious about you comment of staying away from motherboard raid. I have not followed your posts in the forums, but what do u have against Intel RAID?! ;-)

Btw, I have been looking at the just released High-Point RocketRAID 2720SGL. It has 6Gbps support for 8-SATA drives.

Guest no-control

a card offers more expansion and generally you can move the array from system to system. Onboard tends to be slower. On BYOB we're pretty much of the consensus that v1 is only an option when you want to use multiple drives sizes. (ie you need it cheap). Otherwise we pretty mcuh prefer the 2011 stuff over the older.

a card offers more expansion and generally you can move the array from system to system. Onboard tends to be slower. On BYOB we're pretty much of the consensus that v1 is only an option when you want to use multiple drives sizes. (ie you need it cheap). Otherwise we pretty mcuh prefer the 2011 stuff over the older.

For the concensus, I think I was referring to last week's Home Server Show podcast. I am really leaning towards 2011 at this point, just because I am going thru all the effort. Just wish I could download a trial version so that I can test it out first. I need to get a technet subscription i guess! ;-)

Can you tell me whether this setup makes sense. At this point, I am going to go with the on-board RAID, as I'd rather it not go to waste! ;-) Plus I don't want the costs to spiral out of control. The AMD 890G motherboard I have targeted has six SATA ports that I will use for a six 2TB Green drives in RAID5 configuration. I will call this RAID Array #1. The motherboard also has two GSATA ports which I will install two 1TB 7200RPM drives in a RAID1 configuration. I will call this RAID Array #0. I will install the WHS 2011 on RAID Array #0. The C: partition of that Array #0 will have the OS and the D: partition (1TB - OS partition) will store the client backups. Looking at my current WHS v1 client backups, I use less than 500GB. Perhaps I could get away with a 750GB drive, but they can be more expensive than a 1TB at times! RAID Array #1 will be about 10TB. This will contain all of my data (music, pictures, movies, etc).

Alternately, I have been looking at the High-Point RocketRAID 2720SGL 8-port controller card. It supports SATA III, which granted I won't really be taking advantage of. However, it does give me an upgrade path. I either need to decide and stick with my proposal above, or use this controller card in lieu of the 6-port RAID Array #1.

Edited by bondisdead

For the concensus, I think I was referring to last week's Home Server Show podcast. I am really leaning towards 2011 at this point, just because I am going thru all the effort. Just wish I could download a trial version so that I can test it out first. I need to get a technet subscription i guess! ;-)

Can you tell me whether this setup makes sense. At this point, I am going to go with the on-board RAID, as I'd rather it not go to waste! ;-) Plus I don't want the costs to spiral out of control. The AMD 890G motherboard I have targeted has six SATA ports that I will use for a six 2TB Green drives in RAID5 configuration. I will call this RAID Array #1. The motherboard also has two GSATA ports which I will install two 1TB 7200RPM drives in a RAID1 configuration. I will call this RAID Array #0. I will install the WHS 2011 on RAID Array #0. The C: partition of that Array #0 will have the OS and the D: partition (1TB - OS partition) will store the client backups. Looking at my current WHS v1 client backups, I use less than 500GB. Perhaps I could get away with a 750GB drive, but they can be more expensive than a 1TB at times! RAID Array #1 will be about 10TB. This will contain all of my data (music, pictures, movies, etc).

Alternately, I have been looking at the High-Point RocketRAID 2720SGL 8-port controller card. It supports SATA III, which granted I won't really be taking advantage of. However, it does give me an upgrade path. I either need to decide and stick with my proposal above, or use this controller card in lieu of the 6-port RAID Array #1.

After listening to the podcast for the BYOB guys I decided to go with the RocketRaid 2680 card. It has 8 ports and I am currently running Raid 5 with five drives for 8Tb of usable storage. I also am using all of the SATAN ports on my MB, 1 is used for the OS which is in an IcyDock mirror, 2 more are used for a mirror of my music/photos/docs, 1 is used for a DVD drive, 1 is used for an Antec Easy SATA dock on the front of my case and another is used as a eSATA connector.