RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Media @ Home (help needed)

OverboardKiller

i'll start off with what i currently have.

Hardware:

Ex490 Media Smart (4gb ram + upgraded CPU)

Gaming PC

2 Xbox 360

Sat Tv (Foxtel)

COCOON 5.8GHz Dual Input AV Sender and Receiver AVS58

63" Samsung TV (main) - 42" SD Panasonic (alt room) - 36" Samsung (bed room)

Blu-ray Player with Network

Onkyo AV Receiver TX-SR578 (with iphone Dock)

Gigabit network (one socket in each room)

Wireless G+N

ADSL 2+ internet (1.3mb/s)

Xbox Set up:

I use both XBOX360's as MCE one in main room and other in the bed room. Currently i'm running MC on my Gaming PC with all the data saved on my Ex490. I use MediaBrowser which is also on my PC.

Question 1

Is there any way of removing the PC from this setup? Eg Xbox to EX490? I was thinking to remove WHS and install Window7 with DriveBender (when released) could the Ex490 handle being a MC?

SatTV set up

I have a HD foxtel box connected to my Main TV. We wanted to send the signal to our bedroom so we don't have to get a number of foxtel boxes around the house. I brought the AV sender/receiver which has been working ok but the picture quality/sound isn't that good. I was looking at video baluns, but found out that i need to have 2 network points as i can't just run a balun through a switch.

Question 2

any other option? should i just run another network cable to my bedroom and buy a balun?

Music Setup

Currently i don't have anything. Things i want. I want to be able to select a group of songs (playlist) and set it to random. Example: set 80 rock songs to random. I would also want something that i can use as a Jukebox, by this i mean going into the songs and selecting what songs i wanna play and keep on adding to the list while it plays. If there is nothing on the list i want it to play random songs. I would like it if it played MP3's or AVi's (music Videos)

Question 3

Options?

I like to keep all my media on my Ex490 as it is easy to move and is small. I don't mind if i need to buy extra equipment as long as it will work in Australia.

The answer to question one is no. YOu have to have a box that runs MC on it in order to connect your xbox.

The answer to question one is no. YOu have to have a box that runs MC on it in order to connect your xbox.

which is why i was thinking to install Windows 7 on the Ex490