RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Domain name setup fails with live account sign in

Lee

I have found and issue and have since found the solution, but I thought I would post it here to help others.

I have just finished installing and moving all my data from my v1 to my new home server 2011. I then went to try and configure the domain name setup just as I had done in my v1, but every time I entered my live account username and password I would get the error.

"The user name and password is incorrect" I tired this many time one night.

I thought there may have been a MS server issue so I left it and tried the next day and I got the same error. I thought I would boot my old v1 and remove and try and remove and re-add my live account in the domain account, but I got the same error. I then tried my wife's live account username and password and the wizard went through.

I thought this was strange so I went online to try and find an answer I searched the Home Server Show forums and didn't find and thing, but after doing some more searching I found that after MS did an upgrade to the new domain system during the Vail beta that you can no longer have speical characters in your password such as "!%#@$&()", my password had a & character.

What I did was went to account.live.com and changed my password to a simple password and then went through the domain name wizzard and it all went through fine. I then went back to account.live.com and changed it back to my more complex password.

More info here http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/67e03711-855d-4dcc-9885-be3ca368f7e4

I hope this helps someone.

Edited by Lee

Interesting discovery. I have previously used special characters like @ and ! in place of the letter "a" and "i" when trying to create a strong password that I could later remember.

Interesting discovery. I have previously used special characters like @ and ! in place of the letter "a" and "i" when trying to create a strong password that I could later remember.

That is why I use Roboform as my password manager. I use passwords like P44JWa3$33vD@nG%aia6 all the time and don't have any problem remembering it. ;)

or LastPass.

With the issues they have had recently I wouldn't touch it.