RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Offsite Backup Approaches - 3GB+

edamiga1

What is the best way to do offsite backup when we have more than 2TB.

I am currently backing up my critical files using the built in backup to WHS2011. I have two disks and rotate them.

I know many use SyncToy or other sync tools or the built in backup tools. If you are doing this do you get any capability of having snap shots of the previous backups. I really like having the ability to go back in time and see older versions.

What is the best way to do offsite backup when we have more than 2TB.

I am currently backing up my critical files using the built in backup to WHS2011. I have two disks and rotate them.

I know many use SyncToy or other sync tools or the built in backup tools. If you are doing this do you get any capability of having snap shots of the previous backups. I really like having the ability to go back in time and see older versions.

There are many approaches to offsite. Many use crashplan and others use keepvault or cloudberry. It really depends on many factors. If you only want offsite (not necessarily cloud) you can use things like encrypted backups that you can store at another home, safety deposit box, data vault or use something like crashplan. The approach I took is to determine what really was critical to have offsite which typically is not that much and ended up using Cloudberry/S3 solution which cost me about $5-$6 a month. Since I have three copies of everything locally, I found it unnecessary to store everything offsite and choose to only put things I cannot replace. It gives me the ability to access the data anywhere I am and restore critical files to any computer with no special software installed. I also moved another copy to my daughters house just for good measure. I personally think it is impractical to backup 2T+ online as it takes forever to backup as well as restore so if you really have that much critical data to move offsite, then I would encrypt a hard drive and store it in another location.

You can use Crashplan for free. Backup to an external USB drive at our house and then take the drive to another location (Work, Parents, friends, whatever) and hook up the drive. Crashplan will continue where you left off on the backup. I've done this and it has been working great so far. If you want backup sets and versioning I think you have to pay for Crashplan.

Dennis

I backup to Crashplan Central and therefore pay for a data plan. Total backup to Crashplan is about 1.4tb and I am about halfway through.

I also have my parents and soon my sister, backing up to me using Crashplan, which will be free for them.

I backup to Crashplan Central and therefore pay for a data plan. Total backup to Crashplan is about 1.4tb and I am about halfway through.

I also have my parents and soon my sister, backing up to me using Crashplan, which will be free for them.

And I thought the 500 GB I have been sending to Crashplan for the last month was a lot. I guess not!