RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Don W

Should I mirror or back-up

Don W

My WHS 2011 rig has 2 2TB drives. Would it be better to mirror the drives, or use one for the system drive and one to backup everything onto. I am trying to think of the pro's and con's of each solution.

Thanks

Don

kermi

My WHS 2011 rig has 2 2TB drives. Would it be better to mirror the drives, or use one for the system drive and one to backup everything onto. I am trying to think of the pro's and con's of each solution.

Thanks

Don

Well that depends on what you need. If you mirror the drives by RAID1, you are protected against one drive failing, but not against data loss by file corruption or accidental deletion.

If you back up your data, your data is safe even if the drives fail but it'll take time to restore the data.

pcdoc

Thanks

Don

The best way is to do both. Mirror the two you have and add one more to backup. Kermi is correct. If you have to choose it would depend on the data type but I would have to choose the backup for that reason. In my rig, I use the mirror+backup option as it gives the greatest level of uptime and security.

jcollison

How much total data do you have?

JediTim

I am currently running a RAID 1 for my photos / music / documents / client backups and misc files. I also have a Antec "Easy SATA" on my case that I swap a 2TB drive with to keep offsite storage. With the prices of the 2TB drive I figured this was my best bet.