RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Couple of Questions on WHS 2011

Drokare

So I installed WHS 2011 and I am dismayed that I need to use Godaddy or another service for my domain registration.

Currently on my Network I have the following

Windows Server 2008 R2 - DC/Exchange 2010

9 Windows 7 Pro (laptops/desktops)

xbox 360

3 android tablets

4 Linux servers (RH and Fedora - Company websites and such)

I had a WHSv1 and many loved it, but the machine died so I thought to resurrect with the new WHS 2011

So here are the questions

1) Do I have to have my domains moved to another company to host? If so what @!#@#$ tard decided that?

2) I know it can not be attached to a domain, and I would like to make it available to the 360

3) I have been reading in the forums that Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 might be a better choice as it can be attached to the domain, if so would it be a better solution??

I like the ability to have the backup and having some of the people to get remote access to the music and pictures that are on the server, but in WHS 2011 that seems to be really hard with it locking me down, where v1 did not do this... I just feel that this "upgrade" is not really an upgrade, only... a similar newer product with a shiny case, but the inside seems clunky... I am not sure.

Anyways thanks in advance,

-Drokare

So I installed WHS 2011 and I am dismayed that I need to use Godaddy or another service for my domain registration.

Currently on my Network I have the following

Windows Server 2008 R2 - DC/Exchange 2010

9 Windows 7 Pro (laptops/desktops)

xbox 360

3 android tablets

4 Linux servers (RH and Fedora - Company websites and such)

I had a WHSv1 and many loved it, but the machine died so I thought to resurrect with the new WHS 2011

So here are the questions

1) Do I have to have my domains moved to another company to host? If so what @!#@#$ tard decided that?

2) I know it can not be attached to a domain, and I would like to make it available to the 360

3) I have been reading in the forums that Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 might be a better choice as it can be attached to the domain, if so would it be a better solution??

I like the ability to have the backup and having some of the people to get remote access to the music and pictures that are on the server, but in WHS 2011 that seems to be really hard with it locking me down, where v1 did not do this... I just feel that this "upgrade" is not really an upgrade, only... a similar newer product with a shiny case, but the inside seems clunky... I am not sure.

Anyways thanks in advance,

-Drokare

WHS 2011 does not require you to use Godaddy or similar service out of the box. It should be able to configure as V1 did unless you have something else going in your network that is unknown. It is not clear how you have your network configured. I assume you already have a .com configuration going to your IP address if you are using Linux servers and such. We need to more how you have everything configured as there seems to other things in the way. If you could elaborate on the router and how you have it configured with other port forwarding services we might be able to help.

WHS 2011 does not require you to use Godaddy or similar service out of the box. It should be able to configure as V1 did unless you have something else going in your network that is unknown. It is not clear how you have your network configured. I assume you already have a .com configuration going to your IP address if you are using Linux servers and such. We need to more how you have everything configured as there seems to other things in the way. If you could elaborate on the router and how you have it configured with other port forwarding services we might be able to help.

Thanks for the reply,

I have three domains registered, with a Static IP Block of 8.

My firewall/router is an Untangle server.

Here is the routing;

xxx.xxx.xxx.153 -> Exchange Server/DC

xxx.xxx.xxx.154 -> WHS 2011

xxx.xxx.xxx.153 -> Linux Server 1

xxx.xxx.xxx.153 -> Linux Server 2

xxx.xxx.xxx.153 -> Linux Server 3

xxx.xxx.xxx.153 -> Linux Server 4

All of the above have a 1 to 1 NAT so outbound has the correct IP.

When I go to setup th Remote Web Access I can not configure "Router" and "Domain Name" as the setups wont let me specify, and on the Domain name when I specify my domain it says I have to transder my domain names to either GoDaddy or eNomCentral. In v1 I could just specify my domain and it even let me specify as xxxx.homeserver.com on MS site. Where did this go?

Does this help?

Also I had installed a beta version of Vail and then jsut reinstalled to RTM. I am getting low disk space on all the drives, yet when I look at them, I see all this used space, but nothing there. Is there something I needed to do, format the drives first?

Thanks again,

-Drokare

SO I fixed the low space error, the files were in a hidden DE folder, so I was able to get those cleaned up.

Did the information I provide help solve the Remote Access problems I was experiencing?

Sorry about the confusion, I neglected to put 2 and 2 together. Their documentation states it has to be a Microsoft supported provider (although I can not find a list) to use your own. What I would do is create a new free one xxxx.homeserver.com and use that to acccess your home server. You can have multiple DNS providers to the same IP. If you manually configure the router (as you did in version one) you should be able to make it work. Once it is setup, you should be able to access using either the new one (xxx.homeserver.com) or the existing one (xxxx.com) as they will point to the same IP. Your issue right now is to get past the setup. Hope this helps.

What happened to the domain xxxxx.homeserver.com I had with V1? And when you say free domain, where do I get one of those? In V1 I had a xxxxx.homeserver.com that worked.

-Drokare

Sorry about the confusion, I neglected to put 2 and 2 together. Their documentation states it has to be a Microsoft supported provider (although I can not find a list) to use your own. What I would do is create a new free one xxxx.homeserver.com and use that to acccess your home server. You can have multiple DNS providers to the same IP. If you manually configure the router (as you did in version one) you should be able to make it work. Once it is setup, you should be able to access using either the new one (xxx.homeserver.com) or the existing one (xxxx.com) as they will point to the same IP. Your issue right now is to get past the setup. Hope this helps.

Ok, I finally figured out the domain thing. I was used to using my own domain, not the homeserver.com domain. I got it back.

As I have an Untangle Firewall, is there away I can have the "Remote Web Access" page show that the Router is setup, and not give me warnings or errors?

Thanks for all the help so far,

-Drokare

I too would like to supress the stupid message indicating my router is not setup properly.... I've yet to find a way to shut the bogus error off. If anyone has suggestions --- other than to open my firewalls up more than required (as MS suggests) --- I also would really appreciate suggestions.