RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Main Box troubles

stalni

Hi HSS forum members,

My main box has been acting strangely for the past 6 months so before I went off and bought new hardware I thought it would be prudent to hear your opinion:)

The symptom:

Freeze for a few seconds, and then resumes to run normally for the next few hours. this pattern occurs every few days and regularly on the same day.

What I have tried:

I have run Prime95(run for 5 hours), memtestx86(8 hours) and furmark(20 min) all without noticing any errors.

I have replaced my intel SDD(system drive) with a standard HDD I had laying around.

Run the system with windows and ubuntu, both OSs have the symptoms.

The spec's:

I have 4 disks in total running in the system. One maxtor IDE, 2 x 2.5" SATA and the system drive.

Corsair(seasonic) 650 W psu

amd phenom II x3 720

2x 2 GB DDR3 memmory

Asus M4A79XTD Evo

My thoughts as the cause:

PSU

Motherboard

My reasoning is that CPU and memory have been tested to work, and the system disk has been replaced, that leaves the motherboard and the PSU.

What is do you think is the cause and also how would you test for that cause.

Have you looked at task manager at the time of the problem to see if a process is using a lot of memory? Have you checked the performance of the memory and cpu during the time of the problem to see if one or both is maxed out? There are a lot of things it could be before you you even consider hardware.

I searched Asus M4A79XTD freezes and got a number of returns. Have looked at these?

Try running with one memory stick for a few days, then the other.

If you are using a video card, get the latest drivers from the manufacturer.

What mouse are you using?

Oh, and look over the event logs.

Hi HSS forum members,

My main box has been acting strangely for the past 6 months so before I went off and bought new hardware I thought it would be prudent to hear your opinion:)

The symptom:

Freeze for a few seconds, and then resumes to run normally for the next few hours. this pattern occurs every few days and regularly on the same day.

What I have tried:

I have run Prime95(run for 5 hours), memtestx86(8 hours) and furmark(20 min) all without noticing any errors.

I have replaced my intel SDD(system drive) with a standard HDD I had laying around.

Run the system with windows and ubuntu, both OSs have the symptoms.

The spec's:

I have 4 disks in total running in the system. One maxtor IDE, 2 x 2.5" SATA and the system drive.

Corsair(seasonic) 650 W psu

amd phenom II x3 720

2x 2 GB DDR3 memmory

Asus M4A79XTD Evo

My thoughts as the cause:

PSU

Motherboard

My reasoning is that CPU and memory have been tested to work, and the system disk has been replaced, that leaves the motherboard and the PSU.

What is do you think is the cause and also how would you test for that cause.

These are the worst to fix. Everyone here has some good suggestions that you should try. My "guess" because of the way it is hanging up would be the IDE drive or the motherboard. Memory "usually" causes a hard error such as a blue screen or complete lock. It sounds to me more like an I/O lock up.

What video card do you have?

Club 3d ATI 4890 Superclocked

Have you looked at task manager at the time of the problem to see if a process is using a lot of memory? Have you checked the performance of the memory and cpu during the time of the problem to see if one or both is maxed out? There are a lot of things it could be before you you even consider hardware.

No, how would you test if the memory is maxed out, as I cannot always change window as that could require disk access.

I know there is about 1.5 GB free of memory, when these problems occur.

cpu idles when this happens.

I searched Asus M4A79XTD freezes and got a number of returns. Have looked at these?

Try running with one memory stick for a few days, then the other.

If you are using a video card, get the latest drivers from the manufacturer.

What mouse are you using?

Oh, and look over the event logs.

no I have only tested both memory sticks both with prime95 using 2 GB and memtestx86.

Will make a google search.

These are the worst to fix. Everyone here has some good suggestions that you should try. My "guess" because of the way it is hanging up would be the IDE drive or the motherboard. Memory "usually" causes a hard error such as a blue screen or complete lock. It sounds to me more like an I/O lock up.

My thinking exactly. Memory/cpu = bluescreen, psu = bluscreen or general system freeze, drive/controller = drives stops reading, but have tested with a new drive.

Thanks for the feedback/help so far:)

after a little googling, it would seem that I am not the only one with this problem as suggested by dvn. However all the cases I have found have all had memory problems, which I do not have. But still this only strengthens my hypothesis that it is the motherboard that is at fault.

And unlike some of the reports found on google, everything on the screen looks normal.