RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
jpap33

scared.....v1 to 2011 on 495

jpap33

Hey All.... I swear I thought there was some info on here about taking the plunge to 2011. I've seen some videos on the install process for 2011, but I feel like there is more that I have to be worried about with my data.

My current setup-- Hp 495... 4 drives and also a eSATA smart family Pro Box with two drives attached to the home server. None of my current folders are duplicated-- I have a monthly backup of all my important data in my safe.

So.. I'll install the 2011 with a usb key. Do I need to prepare my data in anyway? (besides being backed up)

After the install, I have a new 3tb drive that I'd like to switch out with a 1 tb drive in the hp. That will help eliminate the pro box for the time being. I'll ask that question when the time comes I guess....

For now, Anything special to do with my data on the other drives as i prepare to install 2011?

Thanks for the help guys....

Joe

Edited by jpap33

jpap33

Thanks diehard, I appreciate the response. I am comfortable with booting from the USB. My ? Is more about the other drives. Do I need to do anything to prepare them (my data-share folders) for the upgrade?

Hope you're having this great weather we got in dc!

Joe

timekills

Thanks diehard, I appreciate the response. I am comfortable with booting from the USB. My ? Is more about the other drives. Do I need to do anything to prepare them (my data-share folders) for the upgrade?

Hope you're having this great weather we got in dc!

Joe

I'm perhaps missing something here, but there is no "upgrade" path from WHSv1 to WHS2011. I.E. the data preparation is backing it all up.

pcdoc

Timekills is correct there is not upgrade but I assume that you know you will loose everything but the data on your server. 2011 install itself and only messes with the primary drive. If you have data on the data partition of the primary drive you will loose it. Other than that, you should be good to go. If you want to be absolutely safe, just pull out the other drives and set them aside and do the install. When you are done, install the new drive and the other drives that have data and start copying it over. No other prep beside backup is required.

jpap33

Timekills is correct there is not upgrade but I assume that you know you will loose everything but the data on your server. 2011 install itself and only messes with the primary drive. If you have data on the data partition of the primary drive you will loose it. Other than that, you should be good to go. If you want to be absolutely safe, just pull out the other drives and set them aside and do the install. When you are done, install the new drive and the other drives that have data and start copying it over. No other prep beside backup is required.

Thanks guys! That answers it for me!

Rensul

jpap33 - Let us know how it goes - I'm considering doing the same.

Rensul

gcoupe

Just to be explicit about the data copying process (in case someone reading this is unaware of the fact): the shares of the old WHS v1 can be found in a hidden folder called DE on the drives...

I built my new WHS 2011 setup using this process; copying from an existing drive to a new one, then reformatting the existing drive and using it in turn to empty the next existing drive, and so on until all the old data had been transferred into newly formatted drives.

diehard

If your short on hard drives to migrate,but have some folders duplicated, I would start by turning off duplication on some shares, then use the option to remove the drive from the pool to free up the drive, but then add it as a non pooled drive and use the option to backup shares and fill the drive as much as I can. Then place this drive into the WHS2011 box and move the files over to the new share. Then once those files have been confirmed, delete the share from the v1 box to free up an other drive, and so on and start adding the transfer drive to the WHS2011 storage.

Not that I disagree with you gcoupe, just an alternative, some folks have had issues using your method where they thought they were copying files but were instead coyping tombstones instead and actually lost data. So folks should be careful and confirm by testing files.

jpap33

But none of that is needed if I'm just gonna redo the operating system hard drive, correct?

Is there a way to confirm I have no data on my system drive? Would that be under the de folder to make sure?

Thanks again for the discussion. Took two days to back everything up to a nas... Waiting for the 2011 to be downloadable from new egg or amazon.....