RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
texasPI

Server Backup Questions

texasPI

Right now I have a little less than 2TB of storage across three drives in my 2011 that I'm getting close to filling up. As of now, I have a 2TB external drive that I back my server up to. By far my biggest pool of data is video. So I'm thinking of adding a 2TB internal drive for videos where I now use a 1TB. Would I be able to use this 1TB (once empty) in conjunction with the 2TB external drive for server backups? I'd use the 2TB external drive to backup the new 2TB internal drive and the 1TB internal drive to backup data other than movies that is stored on the other internal drives. Does that sound right?

In a nutshell, can I have more than one backup drive connected and can I select what gets backed-up to which drive?

Also, I'm wanting to add an online backup component to my server. I have roughly 35GB of data that I'd want to backup. I just can't decide who to go with. I'm leaning toward Crashplan right now and I'm wondering if it's worth it to do the seeded backup where they send you a drive to get started. Thoughts?

Edited by texasPI

Rensul

Right now I have a little less than 2TB of storage across three drives in my 2011 that I'm getting close to filling up. As of now, I have a 2TB external drive that I back my server up to. By far my biggest pool of data is video. So I'm thinking of adding a 2TB internal drive for videos where I now use a 1TB. Would I be able to use this 1TB (once empty) in conjunction with the 2TB external drive for server backups? I'd use the 2TB external drive to backup the new 2TB internal drive and the 1TB internal drive to backup data other than movies that is stored on the other internal drives. Does that sound right?

In a nutshell, can I have more than one backup drive connected and can I select what gets backed-up to which drive?

Also, I'm wanting to add an online backup component to my server. I have roughly 35GB of data that I'd want to backup. I just can't decide who to go with. I'm leaning toward Crashplan right now and I'm wondering if it's worth it to do the seeded backup where they send you a drive to get started. Thoughts?

I have the very same dilemma. I used an internal SATA drive as a server backup drive and all was fine. I then connected an external USB drive for use as a second server backup drive. The USB drive is recognized as a drive, however, it can't be selected as a server backup drive. Looking at the online help, it appears you can only have 1 server backup drive connected at any given time therefore if you choose an internal SATA drive as a server backup, you have to remove it before it will recognize the USB drive as a second server backup! You can select different data for each of your server backups as long as only one is connected at any given time (at least the way I understand it reading the online documentation)

I'm not really interested in doing RAID so I'll eventually go with an external Drobo or something for use as a large server backup drive...

I'm really beginning to miss WHS V1 and DE...

Rensul

texasPI

Thanks! That's exactly what confused me when looking at the help info. I may go with a Drobo as well.

So perhaps a second USB external would work ok?

Edited by texasPI

gcoupe

The issue is that the built-in Server Backup function in the WHS 2011 Dashboard will only handle a maximum of 2TB. While you can rotate external USB drives, the backup will only be of the same files and folders, and only to a maximum of 2TB. You can't define a number of scheduled backups in the Dashboard to slice up your Server storage across a number of backups.

If you want to get past the 2TB limit, you're going to have to use another backup solution. I'm using the Dashboard utility for my critical data (server OS and client backups), since this comes in at under 2TB, and using SyncToy to external drives for non-critical data (ripped CDs/DVDs/Blu-rays).

Frankly, the supplied Backup solution in WHS 2011 is brain-dead. See http://gcoupe.wordpress.com/2011/03/05/i-dont-believe-it-2/

pcdoc

gcoupe solution is very common. Critical data to the back up and other means for less critical stuff like video. One thing I would like to point out is that the Drobo is RAID and you could build several systems worth of RAID for the price of a Drobo. Having a drobo will resolve your backup needs it just simply provides you with an external RAID box without the performance. Just my two cents.

texasPI

Thanks for the explanation fellas. It's starting to make sense to me now. So let's say I use synctoy or something similar, if I add an external hard drive to the server do I not add it via the console and just basically have it ignored? So I would just RDP into the server to set up the sync relationship with the external drive?

@pcdoc...I appreciate your two cents. I'm not adverse to building my own RAID but I've never done it thus the appeal of the Drobo.

pcdoc

Thanks for the explanation fellas. It's starting to make sense to me now. So let's say I use synctoy or something similar, if I add an external hard drive to the server do I not add it via the console and just basically have it ignored? So I would just RDP into the server to set up the sync relationship with the external drive?

@pcdoc...I appreciate your two cents. I'm not adverse to building my own RAID but I've never done it thus the appeal of the Drobo.

Either way will certainly work, but it really is not very hard and it keeps things in one nice and tidy box as opposed to having another external box hanging off you server which has to say powered on, something I have avoided for a long time. We all get intimidated by some of the terms but after your first one you will be an expert. Anyway, whichever way you go, good luck and keep posting.

gcoupe

Yup. Here's a screenshot of my current drives.

WHS2011%2020.jpg?psid=1

Here, the drive shown as Elements (J:) is the external drive that I'm using for Synctoy, and server backups of my critical data is being put onto the WHS Data Backup #1 drive.

Of course, the fact that I'm having to mess about with RDP and running SyncToy already underlines to me the fact that Microsoft have blown it - WHS 2011 is not a product suitable for the "casual user". OEMs will have to invest in addressing the brain-dead backup "feature" in order to come up with a backup and digital media storage appliance suitable for the masses... Will any of them do this? We'll see.

Meantime, for us, the home builders, I would say that there's definitely a gap in the market for someone to develop a replacement Backup Add-in that uses the underlying Windows Server 2008 R2 facilities that would simplify our lives, and allow us to build WHS 2011 systems for friends and relatives that they could actually use...

texasPI

@gcoupe...thanks, I fully understand now. :)