RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

FUBAR? -- Drive 2 is missing while MSS was removing Drive 4

Joe_Miner

I'm a little concerned that I may have a FUBAR.

This morning in the connector (remove a hard drive screen of the server storage tab) I directed my MSS (see signature line below) to remove my 1.5TB drive (#4) -- the wizzard said it had plenty of room and we began.

I left the machine doing its thing and went off to work expecting the removal process for #4 to be completed but what to my surprise I found that the wizzard showed only about 3/4ths of the job done and I could see behind the wizzard that my drive #2 was not healthy but was "missing" and the wizzard seems stuck at the 3/4 bar. On the MSS the light bar for #2 bay is out and the Health light is a solid red.

Has this happened to anyone else before? Is my data hosed? Any suggestions?

Thanks (I'm trying to remain calm)!

This morning in the connector (remove a hard drive screen of the server storage tab) I directed my MSS (see signature line below) to remove my 1.5TB drive (#4) -- the wizzard said it had plenty of room and we began.

I left the machine doing its thing and went off to work expecting the removal process for #4 to be completed but what to my surprise I found that the wizzard showed only about 3/4ths of the job done and I could see behind the wizzard that my drive #2 was not healthy but was "missing" and the wizzard seems stuck at the 3/4 bar. On the MSS the light bar for #2 bay is out and the Health light is a solid red.

Before starting the removal I had temporairly removed the USB backup drive having done a server shares backup and BDBB. The issue may have been related to that since I neglected to do a server restart after the BDBB. Argggg!

Throughout the experience I could remote into the server and for quite a while I could still get in thru the connector (though it was still trying to remove #4 even though #2 was now missing) -- when the connector connection failed repeatedly I decided to try a soft power down which failed. I then tried a hard power down which was successful. I then powered up the Server and all drives lighted up and after checking things as best I could thru the connector and thru the Remote Desk Top I initiated the removal of Drive #4 -- which was successful this time. I replaced Drive #4 and the new drive was sucessfully added to my pool. I had found a somewhat similar experience written-up on MediaSmartServer.Net which gave me the idea.

So far things are checking out well.