RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HD Space Planning (no RAID, just Volumes)

Beaker1024

I have been using a HP lx195 for a year or two and love WHS. DE means little to me since I've am limited to 1 internal HD and I do not want to use RAID in any shape or form.

I have 90% of the parts to build a WHS 2011 box. The important parts are:

MB: Biostar H67+

CPU: Intel i3-2100

RAM: 2x2GB GSkill

HD for OS: WD Caviar Black 750 GB (re-purposing from client PC)

HD for Shares & Client backups: Samsung F4 5400rpm 2TB (bought new for WHS)

External HD for offsite backups: Seagate FreeAgent 500 GB (old 2.5" currently used for offsite backup for WHS v1 shares)

Current HD Space needed: ~1.3 TB; 250 GB worth is TV recording that I do not consider critical to backup at all.

I have 3 client PCs.

My goals are:

1) All data onto the WHS 2011 server and the Clients be basically the OS and the installed software taken care of by the WHS 2011 client backups.

2) Normal NTFS volumes (1 per HD) for shares, no RAID.

3) Backups for the WHS2011 server OS can be done directly to one of the local/LAN client PCs.

4) Client Backups & Shares (possibly not including TV Recordings) are backed up regularly (several times a day) internally to the WHS2011.

5) Client Backups & Shares (definitely not including TV Recordings) are backed up weekly to external HD for offsite storage.

6) WHS Recorded TV Share does not need to be backed up (but ok if any idea covers it).

The two shares that grow the most by far for me are: Photos (I have pocket camera HD videos go here too) & TV Recordings neither of which are close to 2TB. More like: 200-250GB each. The Photos Share is critical to backup locally and offsite. TV Recordings are not critical.

Before I found allot of data still on my client PCs (since my WHS v1 HD is only 650GB) I was thinking of using the OS 750GB for the backup location (the remaining partition after the OS takes some). Now I"m not sure the 750GB OS makes sense (but it's a recent purchase that has run OK for 4 months I was going to re-purpose it).

My question is:

How to buy / configure the right amount of hard drives and not be so much I bought drives that aren't being used but be enough that I can put the backups in place and forget about it?

My thoughts / Confusion

I keep going back and forth between adding 1-2 more 2TB drives for share backups internally and possibly another 2.5" external 500GB or going with a external enclosure 3.5" to use a 2TB for external offsite. Although I like the no power cord for 2.5" external.

I'm also unsure of which additional 2TB HD to get, either the Samsung F4 2TB or the Hitachi 3k5000 2TB.

NOTE: I setup my 3 client PCs before I even knew about WHS so I bought decently sized HDs for them. They all have 640 GB WD Caviar Blacks from ~3 yrs ago and going strong. That's why I said I can backup the WHS2011 server OS to a client PC HD.

Edited by Beaker1024

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pcdoc

• gcoupe

• dagamer34

• Beaker1024

I have been using a HP lx195 for a year or two and love WHS. DE means little to me since I've am limited to 1 internal HD and I do not want to use RAID in any shape or form.

I have 90% of the parts to build a WHS 2011 box. The important parts are:

MB: Biostar H67+

CPU: Intel i3-2100

RAM: 2x2GB GSkill

HD for OS: WD Caviar Black 750 GB (re-purposing from client PC)

HD for Shares & Client backups: Samsung F4 5400rpm 2TB (bought new for WHS)

External HD for offsite backups: Seagate FreeAgent 500 GB (old 2.5" currently used for offsite backup for WHS v1 shares)

Current HD Space needed: ~1.3 TB; 250 GB worth is TV recording that I do not consider critical to backup at all.

I have 3 client PCs.

My goals are:

1) All data onto the WHS 2011 server and the Clients be basically the OS and the installed software taken care of by the WHS 2011 client backups.

2) Normal NTFS volumes (1 per HD) for shares, no RAID.

3) Backups for the WHS2011 server OS can be done directly to one of the local/LAN client PCs.

4) Client Backups & Shares (possibly not including TV Recordings) are backed up regularly (several times a day) internally to the WHS2011.

5) Client Backups & Shares (definitely not including TV Recordings) are backed up weekly to external HD for offsite storage.

6) WHS Recorded TV Share does not need to be backed up (but ok if any idea covers it).

The two shares that grow the most by far for me are: Photos (I have pocket camera HD videos go here too) & TV Recordings neither of which are close to 2TB. More like: 200-250GB each. The Photos Share is critical to backup locally and offsite. TV Recordings are not critical.

Before I found allot of data still on my client PCs (since my WHS v1 HD is only 650GB) I was thinking of using the OS 750GB for the backup location (the remaining partition after the OS takes some). Now I"m not sure the 750GB OS makes sense (but it's a recent purchase that has run OK for 4 months I was going to re-purpose it).

My question is:

How to buy / configure the right amount of hard drives and not be so much I bought drives that aren't being used but be enough that I can put the backups in place and forget about it?

My thoughts / Confusion

I keep going back and forth between adding 1-2 more 2TB drives for share backups internally and possibly another 2.5" external 500GB or going with a external enclosure 3.5" to use a 2TB for external offsite. Although I like the no power cord for 2.5" external.

I'm also unsure of which additional 2TB HD to get, either the Samsung F4 2TB or the Hitachi 3k5000 2TB.

NOTE: I setup my 3 client PCs before I even knew about WHS so I bought decently sized HDs for them. They all have 640 GB WD Caviar Blacks from ~3 yrs ago and going strong. That's why I said I can backup the WHS2011 server OS to a client PC HD.

These are tough questions as much is based on preference. I would dedicated one drive for client backups, one drive (or use th OS to mirror a second drive, somewhat critical for critical data as it is like duplication, no extra hardware required) for data, and the last drive for backing up the shares and server OS. Based on your description, that should work very well for you. As for the drive type, that is also based on brand preference. Personally I am a WD fan, but if I had to choose from the two you listed without a doubt I would pick the Samsung as it is just a better class of drive than the Hitachi.

Good luck and it looks like you selected a good system. Let us know how it goes.

Mike,

If he purchases two 2 TB drives let say for client back ups and pictures should he just set the drive up for mirror or should he load both drives up and use the native folder duplication?

Mike,

If he purchases two 2 TB drives let say for client back ups and pictures should he just set the drive up for mirror or should he load both drives up and use the native folder duplication?

There really isn't a native folder duplication so I would go with a mirror.

How about this solution:

Inside WHS box

750GB WD Black = WHS2011 OS + critical files backedup with FreeFileSync (opensource app, can write Log files with unattended scheduled by OS tasks)

2 TB HD for all non critical and re-creatable files: i.e. Ripped CDs I own/have in cardboard box, Recorded TV for MCE

2 TB HD for critical file shares (can be backedup to OS drive or optional backup 2TB)

(Optional) 2TB HD for backup of critical shares

External Offsite

500 GB Seagate FreeAgent Go - Use until it can't cover all critical shares then buy another and dedicate each to certain shares.

Backup to Client PCs non changing media files - With 3 client PCs with 640GB each (minus OS/software) I can farm out backups of non-changing media content to them.

I hear what people are saying about using RAID 1 mirror, I have thought long and hard about going that way. Unfortunately I really want things to be super simple with the ability to just yank any drive and attach to any Windows PC. My storage needs are still small but are just starting to outgrow the super simple solutions. So if I have two 2TB HDs one for the actual shares and one for it's backup internally I would use the WHS2011 backup feature and let that be automated every hour or twice a day, etc... I kind of like the idea of having a non-critical not backedup hard drive just for TV Recordings and such to let that one drive get beat-up and not put stress on the critical HD(s).

Plus data integrity is priority 1 so I intend to use the WHS Integrity checker add-in and have all files verified before putting to the external backup. The 2TB Samsung drive I have is updated with the new firmware but did have issues of corrupting files with SMART reads coinciding with writes.

I used to be a BIG WD HD fan and have 3 of the 640GB Caviar Blacks all as the primary OS (Win7 64bit) for my PCs along with the one 750GB Caviar Black. It's just when I'm shopping for the 2TB low power ~5400rpm models I didn't like the reported (NewEgg) failure rate and picked the Samsung.

I have not implemented any form of RAID on my server. I don't really see the point.

The built-in server backup solution, while it has a stupid 2TB limit, will take snapshots of the server twice-daily by default, and more frequently, if desired. So this means that up to 2TB is being dealt with in a Mirror/RAID1-like manner (not in realtime, obviously, but being duplicated on a scheduled basis). It can also be likened to the DE Duplication feature of WHS V1, although, once again, it is not in realtime, but scheduled.

I can also use the built-in server backup solution to handle two 2TB backup drives, which I can rotate on a daily basis between the server and an offsite location.

So long as my most precious data lies under that 2TB limit, then I'm prepared to accept the risk of drive failure. I will lose my most recent server data within a 12-hour window (using the default settings), if a drive on the server fails, or within a 24-hour window if the house burns down, but I can live with that level of risk.

The bulk of my server data is ripped CDs/DVDs/Blu-rays. Since this data changes slowly over time (as new titles are acquired), then taking weekly or even monthly snapshots of this data onto external drives using SyncToy or a similar solution is sufficient for me. These external drives are also stored off-site. The thought occurs that perhaps I should also store the original media off-site, and that's certainly a possibility for me that I think I should implement.

That's my strategy, at any rate. I think it's sound, but feel free to poke holes in it.

There really isn't a native folder duplication so I would go with a mirror.

I should have said one drive for data the other for back up not duplication

I have not implemented any form of RAID on my server. I don't really see the point.

The built-in server backup solution, while it has a stupid 2TB limit, will take snapshots of the server twice-daily by default, and more frequently, if desired. So this means that up to 2TB is being dealt with in a Mirror/RAID1-like manner (not in realtime, obviously, but being duplicated on a scheduled basis). It can also be likened to the DE Duplication feature of WHS V1, although, once again, it is not in realtime, but scheduled.

I can also use the built-in server backup solution to handle two 2TB backup drives, which I can rotate on a daily basis between the server and an offsite location.

So long as my most precious data lies under that 2TB limit, then I'm prepared to accept the risk of drive failure. I will lose my most recent server data within a 12-hour window (using the default settings), if a drive on the server fails, or within a 24-hour window if the house burns down, but I can live with that level of risk.

The bulk of my server data is ripped CDs/DVDs/Blu-rays. Since this data changes slowly over time (as new titles are acquired), then taking weekly or even monthly snapshots of this data onto external drives using SyncToy or a similar solution is sufficient for me. These external drives are also stored off-site. The thought occurs that perhaps I should also store the original media off-site, and that's certainly a possibility for me that I think I should implement.

That's my strategy, at any rate. I think it's sound, but feel free to poke holes in it.

I use an 8TB RAID5 to back up all of my drives (2x 1.5TB, 1x 2TB) and I think RAID in the right situation has a purpose. I still do have the 2TB limit, but thankfully, my videos folder is easily split into movies and TV shows.

With the 2TB limit for using the WHS2011 backup scheduled task is that per volume or lets say per "task" (so you could have multiple tasks/different shares all <=2TB)? Or is it just one <=2TB backup task and that's it for WHS2011's backup program?

With the 2TB limit for using the WHS2011 backup scheduled task is that per volume or lets say per "task" (so you could have multiple tasks/different shares all <=2TB)? Or is it just one <=2TB backup task and that's it for WHS2011's backup program?

Just one <=2TB server backup task and that's it. As I say elsewhere, it's brain-dead.