RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

LAN Speed, I would to improve

PINKTULIP

Hi

I have a homebuild WHS which i cobbled together using and old Dell dimension 3000, which i have taken all the components out of and placed in a rack mount server case. The server is a little slow, but i will leave that for another post.

I have a gigabit lan with 2 laptops connected via ethernet through a switch, but i havnt seen the speed i would like since upgrading from 100Mbt.

Is there anything i can do to improve the performance across my Lan?

What speed is the NIC in the server you built. On my Dell Dimension 8400 home server build my speeds were slow and I found that the problem seemed to be the 10/100 NIC and only having 1 GB of RAM.

thanks guys

All teh cabling is Cat5e, and the NIC in the server is a dedicated 10/100/1000 full duplex. Both laptops (also Dells) have Gigabit Nics as well.

The server has a 3Ghz P4 processor and only 1Gb of Ram.

It probably isn't a LAN issue. Run the performance program under administrative tools. If you see your memory peaking constantly or staying above 75% (just personal set point) then that could be your problem. So try upgrading your RAM. I never determined what role RAM played for sure in my problems because I just upgraded to different computer, Core 2 Quad with 4GB RAM and a 1000 GB NIC. Smokin'!

"I have a gigabit lan with 2 laptops connected via ethernet through a switch, but i havnt seen the speed i would like since upgrading from 100Mbt."

Is the switch gigabit?

Can you give some actual performance number? I wouldn't think that 1GB of RAM will hamper things that much. Remember that the ex470's came with 512MB standard.
What network speeds do you see between the laptops? What switch is it going through?

I would tend to agree with usacomp2k3. Try some file transfers between the laptops and between the laptops and the servers and see if you get any differences in transfer speeds there. What about your hard drives? What vintage/speed are they?