RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Data Copy Failure

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I have been working on copying video's from my production server to my VM of WHS2011. Unfortunately I am having problems. At some point, early in the transfer (drag and drop), the VM BSOD's on me. I have tried 4 times. Once I only moved about 50 GB of data and it worked fine. The other three tries all went BSOD and I was transferring around 500 GB. Anyone experience this? I can't move 4 TB of data 50 GB at a time.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• ikon

• kermi

• generious

I have been working on copying video's from my production server to my VM of WHS2011. Unfortunately I am having problems. At some point, early in the transfer (drag and drop), the VM BSOD's on me. I have tried 4 times. Once I only moved about 50 GB of data and it worked fine. The other three tries all went BSOD and I was transferring around 500 GB. Anyone experience this? I can't move 4 TB of data 50 GB at a time.

Did you try to use Robocopy to move the files? It worked perfectly for me.

Some info about the BSOD would be nice.. Like a picture of the BSOD screen itself..

edit: and i'd also rather use robocopy for the copying, rather than copy-paste of explorer.

Edited by kermi

Did you try to use Robocopy to move the files? It worked perfectly for me.

No, I am a purist and try to only use native tools to the OS as much as possible.

Some info about the BSOD would be nice.. Like a picture of the BSOD screen itself..

edit: and i'd also rather use robocopy for the copying, rather than copy-paste of explorer.

It happens so fast I can't even read the first couple words. it comes up and disappears within about a second. This is probably because I am using RD to view the VM. It cause the RD to disconnect and when I get it connected again, the VM is off. Makes me wonder if I should use a VM.

RoboCopy is native to Server 2003 or you can use another MS tool called RichCopy. I started moving data about 18 hours ago across a gig network and have moved about 1.3TB so far. The only issue I had was to make sure the drivers were up to date on my RAID Controller (Rosewill RC-209).

RoboCopy is a little more full featured and suited for domains but RichCopy will do the job just fine.

Some errors and warnings from S2008R2 (the host).

Event 1

The reason supplied by user S2008R2\Administrator for the last unexpected shutdown of this computer is: System Failure: Stop error

Reason Code: 0x805000f

Problem ID:

Bugcheck String:

Comment: Failed while trying to copy data

Event 2

Driver Amyuni Document Converter 400 required for printer Quicken PDF Printer is unknown. Contact the administrator to install the driver before you log in again.

Event 3

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Event 4

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort2.

Event 5

One or more physical disks are attached to virtual machine 'WHS2011AddIns'. Back up programs that use the Hyper-V VSS writer cannot back up volumes that are attached to virtual machines as physical disks. To avoid potential data loss, use another method to back up the data on the physical disks. If you restore the data on this virtual machine, make sure to check the data of the physical disk for integrity. (Virtual machine ID EA3734C9-7F1A-47EC-8161-DE9A29E9491D)

Two things:

Do not connect those printers via an RDP session - it's not causing a failure just logging an error. Secondly, it appears you have a RAID controller of some sort? If os, make sure the drivers are up to date from the manufacturer and not Microsoft.

There is a hack to map all your local drives over an RDP Session...let me see if I can find it.

The printers installed on my laptop and automatically get connected any time I use RD. How do I stop that.

To make sure it is clear, S2008R2 shuts downs, not just the VM I am copying to. When looking at sytem events in the VM, there were only two.

Event 1

Unexpected failure. Error Code: 490@01010004

Event 2

Is related to the unexpected shutdown.

No, I am a purist and try to only use native tools to the OS as much as possible.

It happens so fast I can't even read the first couple words. it comes up and disappears within about a second. This is probably because I am using RD to view the VM. It cause the RD to disconnect and when I get it connected again, the VM is off. Makes me wonder if I should use a VM.

As stated below, Robocopy is windows native tool. It is command-line only though.

You should propably remove the "automaticly restart" option from the machines, so when they crash, it stays crashed. That way you have time to check the error. Or then get your camera and video the crash.

I recreated the problem, unfortunately it is easy today as it happens every time, and discoverd it is not a BSOD. The blue screen comes from the wallpaper as the S2008R2 (host OS) restarts. What I don't get, is why would something I am doing on a VM make the host OS restart. I can't get this problem fixed. My virtualization days may be numbered.