RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HomeServer SMART Add-In

Dave

I installed the new SMART addin today. Has anyone else tried it?
I found 100 in the reallocated sectors count and event count for my OS drive. The bottom of the addin states 1 bad sector. All other drives are clean.
smart.jpg

I like the idea of this addin. If there is a pending problem hopefully I can be aware of it and be able to address it before it becomes a disaster. Wondering what you guys think about it.

Dave

To some degree I'm almost in the "ignorance is bliss" camp when it comes to this kind of stuff. As long as things are working, I'd almost rather not know. Heh.

I was convinced, so I installed the add-in. Really slick and I like. I'm all green, although the main 500GB system drive is "warm". Oh well.

OK if you guys insist. I tried it and was also impressed. I like some of the features they added that go well beyond the standard disk monitoring. It is certainly not a one stop shop but what it does it seems to do well. Wish it had email notification like AdminiME but a nice app all around.

pcdoc,

The developer has a thread over at http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6882 and they are discussing a built in email notification. Suggesting that Alex Kuretz Remote Notification could be used, reducing the need for more code and also having 1 email notification addin, not several doing the same thing. I understand that point.

John (homeservershow).

So what is the difference in the health monitoring that WHS does and the SMART monitor? I have 2 drives that are being reported as Unhealthy but the SMART addin says everything is OK.

Hi cskenney,

I'm assuming on this one, oh-oh.

I believe that the health monitor that WHS is checking covers data/files on your home server drives or if a drive is missing while SMART covers the physical drive hardware.

John (homeservershow).
Maybe other have a better answer.

That is my understanding of SMART. It is strictly the drive internals and does not care about how it is used in the system, that is where WHS kicks in. Good example of why you need both if you really want to monitor everything.