RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Extend C:\ drive beyond 60 GB

Jesse

Hello,

Is there any reason I should not eliminate the D: partition on my SBSe 2011 boot drive and extend the C: partition to include the entire drive? 60GB for C: is plenty, but I do not want any data on this physical drive.

Thanks.

Jesse

If you relocate all your folders to other drives you acheive the same thing using native processes in the OS. I wouldn't extend it.

Here's a third vote....in fact did it today. My 2011 box has twin WD Black 250's for the OS in a RAID 1 mirror and the storage sits very nicely in 4 x 2TB Samsung drives using a Rosewill RC-209 controller card. The array was created in about a minute thru the BIOS. Copying data over from the V1 box right now.....

All I did was to repoint the shares over to what is now my E Drive and I started copying. Smooth process so far but I did go thru about 5 iterations of test boxes too. Really please with this home build.

I agree...I just pointed all of my folders off of the D drive. I then copied everything over with Robocopy from my WHS V1 to the WHS 2011. Just yesterday I started using the data on the WHS 2011 as my main data...I am going to keep the WHS V1 running for a while to confirm everything is working fine...kind of a backup of my backup.

Hi,

Thanks for the responses. Looks like I should have been clearer. I do intend to move my folders from D: to F: (a couple of 1TB drives in raid 1), which will leave the D: partition of the system drive empty. Once the folders are moved why would I not eliminate the D: partition and extend the C: partition to use the entire drive?

Thanks again.

Jesse

Edited by Jesse

As someone suggested the other day, you could leave that space as a reserved space for images, etc or move your Paging File out there for a little more responsiveness.

Hi,

Interesting ideas which I had not considered. Thanks.

Jesse

Moving your page file to a separate partition on the same physical drive will not help with responsiveness. It still requires the same drive head to move to the page file and back.

Moving your page file to a separate partition on the same physical drive will not help with responsiveness. It still requires the same drive head to move to the page file and back.

Exactly. Do you really want to play with your server, that backs up all your critical data? Just leave it as is. If you have a need for more than 60 GB's, then you can look into extending it. But for now, don't bother.