RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

iPad vs. iPad2

awraynor

My wife is actually interested in an iPad now, there is an awesome

Civil War app

for it. She is a history buff and loves the Civil War.

I am interested in a 32GB or maybe a 64GB model. I have seen on CraigsList some iPad 1's

for sale for quite a bit less than the new model. For example, 32GB WiFi new is $600

and I have seen it barely used for as low as $350. Is there really that bit a difference

and can you buy AppleCare on a used model?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave

• awraynor

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• dagamer34

Top Posters In This Topic

Difference really comes from increased performance in apps designed for the hardware and an extra year of support for iOS upgrades (much like how the iPhone 3G isn't going to get iOS 5). It's also very likely that there are going to be features of iOS 5 that are exclusive to the iPad 2 that Apple deems too slow to run on the original iPad. That's why I'd go for a smaller iPad 2 over a larger original iPad.

May I ask why the 64GB model? I have the 32GB iPad 2 right now and had a 32GB original and I'm finding that I actually end up streaming 99% of my content from my server or from Netflix. I despise syncing of my iPad with my computer as I consider it a completely separate self-contained device. If I had to do it again, I'd go for the 16GB. The only thing that really chews up space is movies, huge games and issues from magazine apps.

Edited by dagamer34

Thanks for the links Dave.

@dagamer34. For one you can't expand the storage, but otherwise my wife

has around 25GB of music on her Zune if she chose to transfer all of it.

I thought the 32GB likely represented the safest bet?

FWIW, I have the 64GB model -- I have a lot of music on it and we carry a lot of video on it -- 64GB keeps options open for us and my wife likes it.

If she has 25Gb of music and wants it all on the iPad i would go for the 64. That gives you plenty of room for apps and games. It won't be 32Gb or 64Gb of useable space either. It will format down. I don't have the iPad in front of me but the 16Gb iPhone is 14Gb useable. They don't tell you this in the ads!

I have a 64Gb iPad and would have been good with a 32. You can always stream music and video too.

Well, I have an iPhone which carries most of the music I listen to, so I don't bother with another copy. Plus, I'm usually using my iPad in an area that has WiFi, so streaming is also an option for me. This is why I value an internet connection more that having more storage, the cloud is where most of that stuff really belongs in my case.

If I needed to load up on videos, that's where I'd really understand the case of needing 32-64GB. Other than that, I recommend to my friends the 16GB. Then again, I'm in my early 20's with no kids, so the iPad is just for me. If it were a "family" device, 32GB would be the minimum, with 64GB a consideration if you really need just instant access to everything.

Long story short, 32GB is the "safe" version, and the one that sells the most.

Can you not get the app on Android? If no, I am sure you will be able to soon.

At the moment I only know about the Civil War app on the iPad.

She said it is quite awesome. Giving you daily updates

on "current" information in the war.

Can you not get the app on Android? If no, I am sure you will be able to soon.

It looks like it's scaled to tablet dimensions so it's a no brainer for them to publish it for the iPad. I'm not saying they won't put it on Android market but I doubt the experience would be the same on a 4" device whether iPhone or Android. I know there are Android tablets but the numbers dictate History Channel publishing for iPad.