RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HomeGroup and Individual Users

edamiga1

I am using WHS 2011 and trying to use the HomeGroup feature. The problem is that it looks like if I do not give the homegroup access to a folder, but give an individual access, the homegroup access prevents the specific user access. I understand how this can work from the lower level, too familiar, but am curious as to how they think this should work with the homegroup.

I would hope that homegroup would be the default, but if a user is given more access it would override the default homegroup. If this is working as designed, then what are people doing around this. I have files that I want my family to have read access too, such as movies, but not update capability.

This is why I don't use homegroup and just use the servers settings. I don't recall ever seeing a solution to this.

I am using WHS 2011 and trying to use the HomeGroup feature. The problem is that it looks like if I do not give the homegroup access to a folder, but give an individual access, the homegroup access prevents the specific user access. I understand how this can work from the lower level, too familiar, but am curious as to how they think this should work with the homegroup.

I would hope that homegroup would be the default, but if a user is given more access it would override the default homegroup. If this is working as designed, then what are people doing around this. I have files that I want my family to have read access too, such as movies, but not update capability.

I would like to know more about the use case you have that you need HomeGroup. This feature is cool but I have yet to see its full usefullness. I may be missing something. Can you describe your situation and needs.

Please see this thread. It will explain that this is working as intended. Homegroup is an all or nothing option it basically sets one set of rules for all users.

I would like to know more about the use case you have that you need HomeGroup. This feature is cool but I have yet to see its full usefullness. I may be missing something. Can you describe your situation and needs.

Not sure about the thread owners use case.

I do know I thought it was useful at first until running into the problem as MS puts it 'with the lazy nature of permissions when home group is enabled" at which time I turned off homegroups.

The use case for me was I could set some minimum permissions for the home group. For example media. When doing so my 5 year old (or a guest for that matter) could use any machine in the house without an account on the server to watch movies. Further more my media center extenders could connect to the server without me creating an MCX## account for each extender on the server along with creating a log-in script on the media center PC for each extender. Said another way, given the media center PC was a member of the home group, all the extenders and my 5 year olds or visitor accounts on the same machine automatically received basic permissions to enjoy their media (read-only of course). That way, I only have to administrate access above and beyond a certain minimum

The last post is basically my use case. I understand the permission process, so I fully understand how it is working.

I have disabled homegroup and will go back to adding permissions individually. Not a big deal

As mentioned HomeGroups is all or nothing with permissions. But 1 advantage is that since there is a 2TB drive limit and you have multiple shares, with HomeGroup you can set them as in the same pool. Lets say you have 1 hard drive with a 2TB Videos1 share and a 2nd hard drive with a Videos2 share and so on... You can set a HomeGroup for videos that include Videos1/Videos2/Videos3. This way it would be easier to find a video if your pointing to the HomeGroup videos folder.

Not sure I follow you. I am using Libraries to group like folders together. Other things like MyMovies and Windows Live Photo Gallary do the grouping for me. The problem with home group is that if you are a member of the homegroup you will not have access to files on the server, at any higher privaledge than what you homegroup has.