RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

ProLiant Microserver as a PC / HTPC?

unrealshots

Hi Guys,

what do people think about using an HP Microserver as an HTPC, adding something like an ATI RADEON 5450 1GB card for output? Hoping that this card would drive my 2x 21" monitors using a HDMI-DVI adapter, and another for an HTPC, using HDMI out directly to the PC....

thoughts???

Cheers,

Andrew

I'd be all for it! You know I'd love to have one of those boxes! Why do you keep recommending HP stuff? :)

Hi Guys,

what do people think about using an HP Microserver as an HTPC, adding something like an ATI RADEON 5450 1GB card for output? Hoping that this card would drive my 2x 21" monitors using a HDMI-DVI adapter, and another for an HTPC, using HDMI out directly to the PC....

thoughts???

Cheers,

Andrew

Personally I would not do it. Remember the PS in server is very small and may not be a good match for a Radeon. Not clear if it even has PCI express cables. This probably not the best approach given the low end CPU. Also appears to be a noisy for an HTPC. Just my two cents.

The Microserver is fairly quiet, though there is some noise from the fan. But it really is designed to be a server and nothing else. I did do some fiddling around with the original Vail beta on mine, and it seemed like the CPU had enough power to do transcoding on the fly for the web streaming, so maybe it could hold up under the load that an HTPC puts on it. Depending on what you need a desktop to do though, I suspect you'll be disappointed if you try to use it for an actual productive computer. Adding a video card is not really something I would suggest doing. The PSU is fairly low-powered, and no, I don't think there are any cables to provide the external power most cards seem to require now.

Thanks Guys,

yes Jim, I work for HP... :)

I think this may have just become a pointless exercise, as I think we've just run out of them globally... one of the local deal sites out here had them for $169 + shipping, and they had purchased about 500 from us by all accounts, and they moved them all in a few days...

Read a review about someone running WHS2011 with XBMC on one last night, and reckoned that it's largely ok...

Mike F, you reckon that a Core-i3 would be a better HTPC then? my other thought was an ASUS E35M1-I for the HTPC... I'm keen to see just how good the Fusion APU really is...

re the noise of the fan, I have read on silent pc review, that one of the Scythe fans replaces the case fan with no issues, and makes it a LOT quieter...

Edited by unrealshots