RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Homeserver not available to Xbox 360

SabatonFan80

Hey guys,

I've had the following problem happen a few times now and was just wondering whether anyone has insight into what might be causing it.

I've got a WHSv1 server that I make available to networked Xbox 360s. Media is played straight via the 'Videos' menu option and not via any Media Center PCs or anything like that.

For months at a time, the server will happily make its content available. Once in a while though, the server doesn't seem to want to show up in the list of available video sources on the 360s (we have multiple in the house). In the past I've gotten around this by disabling media sharing on the homeserver and then re-enabling it (this resets the 10-connected devices limit to 0). Note that whenever this happens, the server is still completely accessible to PCs via Windows Explorer.

For whatever reason, doing the 'sharing reset trick' this weekend didn't seem to work. Previously, to try and get around this I had setup Twonky on the homeserver and while I see the 'twonky' instance in the video sources list, I still can't play any content. (When it was working prior to this weekend, I'd see both the homeserver hostname and the 'twonky' instance as video sources and both worked fine.)

Does anyone have an idea what might have caused my homeserver to not be listed as a videosource on the 360s?

Have you tried clearing WHS as a media source from the Xbox and resetting it back up? You go into the settings and clear it from the memory. There was a Xbox update a couple months back that kind of messed a few things up. This fixed things for me. If you know know what I am talking about, shoot me a note and I can get better instructions.

Have you tried clearing WHS as a media source from the Xbox and resetting it back up? You go into the settings and clear it from the memory. There was a Xbox update a couple months back that kind of messed a few things up. This fixed things for me. If you know know what I am talking about, shoot me a note and I can get better instructions.

Interesting. I'll poke around and give it a shot.