RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

IR

geek-accountant

We have a HDR thread, now how about an IR thread. IR (infrared) photography uses a special filter or modification to the camera that blocks out most of the visable light. Unlike many other forms of photography where you want to get that good morning or late day light (landscape type stuff, not action), IR photography is best when the sun is very bright.

IR does require a decent amount of post processing, but the results can be very different than how the scene appeared to you in person. Take these three shots below. The first is the basic shot taken with the normal camera settings and is nothing special, heck I would normally have deleted this from the camera.

ir1.jpg

These next two where taken at the same basic time and are of the same subject. However, in this case an IR filter was used and they where processed a bit different to give different looks.

ir2.jpg

ir3.jpg

I have taken some IR images where a regular image doesn't reveal any clouds due to so much haze. But when the IR image is processed, it's like the hazy wasn't even there. While the images above are nothing special, IR images can be quite stunning.

Anyone else shot IR?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't but the only thing those images tell me is to never use IR. Am I missing something?

Well IR is not for everyone. Some people don't like the look. To me, the top photo which was taken under normal conditions at the normal exposure settings is nothing special. In fact, while I might not have deleted it, there is nothing in the image that would make me want to share it. However, the IR shots are dramatically different and IMO are interesting. Of course if this is a look that you don't like, then IR may not be for you.

What about the images did you not like?

No. IR blocks out almost all visable light. So, even in bright mid day light your exposure times are going to be pretty long, say 6 seconds depending on your settings. So at night, IR photography (at least using an IR filter) would not turn out very well.

I have always liked IR, but I guess it has a limited appeal.

We have a HDR thread, now how about an IR thread. IR (infrared) photography uses a special filter or modification to the camera that blocks out most of the visable light. Unlike many other forms of photography where you want to get that good morning or late day light (landscape type stuff, not action), IR photography is best when the sun is very bright.

Anyone else shot IR?

Haven't shot any IR since the 70s. I think it's a passing fad for most enthusiasts. It certainly has value in some fields but I think most ppl get tired of it for artistic photography.

Having said that, I think the top shot would be waaaay better if it was properly HDR'd :)

Well IR is not for everyone. Some people don't like the look. To me, the top photo which was taken under normal conditions at the normal exposure settings is nothing special. In fact, while I might not have deleted it, there is nothing in the image that would make me want to share it. However, the IR shots are dramatically different and IMO are interesting. Of course if this is a look that you don't like, then IR may not be for you.

What about the images did you not like?

I can buy that. They are definitely unique. While the original image is plain or nothing special, it looks real. The others have that photoshop feel to them. I guess I was just looking at it from what is most "real" like. So I could see how IR could make some shots look cool but it looks like it would be a lot of work to get any that are worth it. But, I have never done it so I could be completely wrong.

The Photoshop work is actually pretty light. Most of the look comes from the filter used on the camera. it does have limited appeal, but I hate to sway all you guys opinions against IR based on my images.

Take a look at the link below:

Infrared examples

Some of these are using the "false color" method of infrared so it is not a complete apples-to-apples example. But it gives you an idea of what is possible with infrared. One of the things holding me back from converting my Nikon D100 to full time infrared is I am not sure if I want it converted to the "false colors" setting or more of a pure infrared. The false color method can produce some stunning images.