RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hard Drive Sapce for Client Backups

mseagrov

I need some ideas about added more capacity for my client backup drive. I have a 2 GB drive that is almost full.

How can I add more space for my backups?

Thanks

Mike

I guess the obvious would be to go to a 3TB drive or setup a RAID 5 to gain more space and some fault tolerance. Then you can use the move folder wizard in 2011 after the new space is added. I don't know all the ins and outs of extending a partition on 2011 but I think the BYOB guys have touched on that somewhere. I think my recommendation would be to add rather than to extend.

If you have not not already, make sure that your client backups are not going to the same drive as you server backup and data. If you need to expand, than yes you can use a 3T or Raid 5 to expand more. One suggestion though is 2T for client backup is very unusual. You might want to move client data such as pictures,video, music to the server and remove them from the local pcs. Then put together a mirror or a raid 5 for all the data. Need a little bit more information about your set and I can make some storage suggestions.

I would guess the bulk of that data is form the OS and program installs and not real data. When I build any box, after the basic programs and add-ons are installed, I image it and store the image. Windows 7 creates that image in a .vhd file so you can also play with it in several ways. Or you can use a number of free utilities to do the same.

After that, I only use the WHS to backup real data such as Documents, Musics, Photos, etc. There are several strategies to use but make sure you look at the backups and insure you are not keeping any daily or weekly backups longer than needed. I backup daily and keep those for 8 days, weekly for 5 weeks, and monthly backups for at least a year. WHS can handle this task for you.

And keep a copy offsite !!

That reminds me...I need to BDBB to an external. I have them duplicated but still....

Copy you client databases to a raid volume. Works great.

If you have not not already, make sure that your client backups are not going to the same drive as you server backup and data. If you need to expand, than yes you can use a 3T or Raid 5 to expand more. One suggestion though is 2T for client backup is very unusual. You might want to move client data such as pictures,video, music to the server and remove them from the local pcs. Then put together a mirror or a raid 5 for all the data. Need a little bit more information about your set and I can make some storage suggestions.

I would be interested in Raid 5 and maybe mirroring. I have a Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3 with Core I5 with 4G of Ram.

Thanks

Mike