RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Anyone seen or tried this?

ikon

The new addin offered by DataCore called DriveHarmony promises to allow users to add or remove drives to an array. This should be available over the next week. Hopefully it will be reasonable priced.

Due to their methodology of mirroring almost everything, I will not be using or even testing their product. I am going to check out the other two products though.

(Emphasis added)

Not true. That depends on the RAID controller. I.E. the 2720 (Highpoint) I am using takes up to 8 drives, but I started my RAID5 with only three. I hotswapped in an additional 2 TB drive I was already using for WHSv1 storage once I cleaned the data off of it and was able to expand my RAID5 to 4 x 2TB (6TB usable.) I'll do that again with my final 2 x 2TB drives once they are backed up. I'm actually moving the files from the 2TB drives to the RAID5, and then adding the drive once removed from WHS v1 to the RAID5.

So you absolutely can expand a RAID array without losing the data.

Wow, I was not aware a product like this existed. Thanks for informing me of this.

Have you tested that the files are accessable and correct and there is no data corruption? Is this new technology or old?

Have you tested that the files are accessable and correct and there is no data corruption? Is this new technology or old?

It has been around for years now at this stage, from when I was first using the old Compaq & HP smart array 5300 controllers, 641/642/6400/5i ect so a good 6 years back now.

Add the new disk into the array and hit extend, pull out the old disk and let it rebuild rinse and repeat.

Due to their methodology of mirroring almost everything, I will not be using or even testing their product. I am going to check out the other two products though.

Wow, I was not aware a product like this existed. Thanks for informing me of this.

I do this on both my Dell Servers through the Dell Server Manager as well on my LSI SAN adding and expanding LUNs at will (one of the primary reason to use SANs)