RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Anyone seen or tried this?

ikon

I found this on a website today: a way to use an SSD as a cache for a standard drive. Anyone seen one, tried it? It looks kinda intriguing to me. And, it's only like $35.

I found this on a website today: a way to use an SSD as a cache for a standard drive. Anyone seen one, tried it? It looks kinda intriguing to me. And, it's only like $35.

Link?

Ready Boost anyone??? If you are one of the many who seem to be going with a RAID 5 solution for WHS 2011 carve out a space to equal twice the amount of installed RAM and redirect your Page File to go there instead of the default location, C:\

• 2 weeks later...

Ready Boost anyone??? If you are one of the many who seem to be going with a RAID 5 solution for WHS 2011 carve out a space to equal twice the amount of installed RAM and redirect your Page File to go there instead of the default location, C:\

At this point I do not intend to go RAID 5.

My current plan (subject to reality checks) is to have 1 smaller drive (under 2 TB for sure) for the OS, to avoid backup issues. I will use the WHS2011 backup to image the OS drive to a drive in a USB3 dock.

For data I plan to use WHS2011 to stripe several 2 or 3 TB drives into 1 large volume. I am not concerned about backup of this data volume because I have no intention of using the WHS2011 backup. Rather, I plan to do what I'm already doing on WHSv1, use a scheduled RoboCopy task to automatically backup the data to an external multi-drive box, probably via USB3. My main concern with this approach is how the dashboard will treat it.

For off site backup, again, I plan to do what I'm already doing w/ WHSv1, RoboCopy the data to drives in 1 or more USB3 docks. As is currently the case, there will be 2 sets of drives; one will always be off site.

I am torn on the RAID topic. I want it because it gives me one place to store more than 2TB of data and it gives me some data protection with drive failure, not failures (unless at different times). However, it is limited in space. You can't make it larger. What do you do once you fill your array. You have to create a new one and copy all the data over. How realistic is that? Unfortunately I don't see an easy answer.

I am torn on the RAID topic. I want it because it gives me one place to store more than 2TB of data and it gives me some data protection with drive failure, not failures (unless at different times). However, it is limited in space. You can't make it larger. What do you do once you fill your array. You have to create a new one and copy all the data over. How realistic is that? Unfortunately I don't see an easy answer.

That's 1 of the reasons I'm using dynamic disk striping; as I understand I can grow and shrink the volume.

That's the main reason why I went with RAID as a backup solution instead of running on my primary drives. At least then you're limit is now 2TB per share, assuming each share has it's own drive.

The new addin offered by DataCore called DriveHarmony promises to allow users to add or remove drives to an array. This should be available over the next week. Hopefully it will be reasonable priced.

(Emphasis added)

Not true. That depends on the RAID controller. I.E. the 2720 (Highpoint) I am using takes up to 8 drives, but I started my RAID5 with only three. I hotswapped in an additional 2 TB drive I was already using for WHSv1 storage once I cleaned the data off of it and was able to expand my RAID5 to 4 x 2TB (6TB usable.) I'll do that again with my final 2 x 2TB drives once they are backed up. I'm actually moving the files from the 2TB drives to the RAID5, and then adding the drive once removed from WHS v1 to the RAID5.

So you absolutely can expand a RAID array without losing the data.