RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Grey cards

geek-accountant

Anyone here use them? In case you never heard of them, here is a link to a photo with one in it:

grey card

grey card shot #2

Don't worry about the focus, it wasn't important for the shot.

I use them when I can. Funny thing is, a bunch of my staff created a softball team and when I come to take photos, they fight over who gets to pose with it, which is why I even put them on my site.

Under the crazy lights of the ball field, getting a shot with a grey card really helps with post processing. These lights had a STRONG yellow cast and all I had to do to remove it is click on the grey card in Lightroom telling it that was 18% grey (which balance setting) and then copy that white balance setting to all the other images in the shot. Of course this is not perfect as the lights will change color and the field became darker during the night, but it was fast and much easier than trying to do manually.

I've created a monster....

Shall I just end all your free time and create an accounting forum as well?

;)

Yes, please!

BTW, this message only went out after a 30 second time out by the system! :D

Your crazy!

Let me try something though. In order to keep the photogs and WHS people all happy I'm going to try removing the Photography forum from the last post area. That way when you photogs take over every last post won't be just about photography. Don't get me wrong though....I don't mind a photo forum at all! Just, wanna keep the peace.

Now, back to grey cards. Never even thought of something like that. You know the exact color of grey on the card so you can post process it? The lights don't effect it any?

That sounds fine, this the Home Server Show forums anyway.

What the grey card does is basically say this is 18% grey under these lighting conditions. In post processing, it gives you a way to color correct with a known color sample under the lighting conditions. Many times you can come close to the same thing if there is a white or neutral grey subject some where in the image. I keep a grey card in my bag, but most of the time I am not able to use it.

While I don't expect the non-photographer to know about grey cards, when I went into Wolf Camera to buy this, the guy behind the counter had no idea what I was talking about. So, he called out the manager who also had no idea. I ended up buying it from Adorama. I wonder how Wolf Camera is doing these days?

That way when you photogs take over every last post won't be just about photography.

Hey at least it gives us some to talk about other than that IcyDock caddy mirror gizmo... ;)

Edited by TechMule

Anyone here use them? In case you never heard of them, here is a link to a photo with one in it:

grey card

grey card shot #2

Don't worry about the focus, it wasn't important for the shot.

I use them when I can. Funny thing is, a bunch of my staff created a softball team and when I come to take photos, they fight over who gets to pose with it, which is why I even put them on my site.

Under the crazy lights of the ball field, getting a shot with a grey card really helps with post processing. These lights had a STRONG yellow cast and all I had to do to remove it is click on the grey card in Lightroom telling it that was 18% grey (which balance setting) and then copy that white balance setting to all the other images in the shot. Of course this is not perfect as the lights will change color and the field became darker during the night, but it was fast and much easier than trying to do manually.

If you want to use a gray card for digital photography, I recommend the WhiBal line: http://mtapesdesign.com/whibal/. Normal 15% gray cards are for film shooting; digital is different; the WhiBal is specifically made for it (I have zero affiliation with the company btw).

I have the WhiBal also, if that is the one you can wear around your neck and has a grey, white and black cards about the size of a large credit card.

I have the WhiBal also, if that is the one you can wear around your neck and has a grey, white and black cards about the size of a large credit card.

that's the smallest one I think; they have much larger ones that are suitable for group shots and such.