RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Photographers

geek-accountant

What I shoot:

* Landscapes (HDR)

* Portraits for friends and family

* Travel Shots

* HDR Artsy Stuff

* HDR Panoramic Stitches (Landscape and Vertical)

My gear:

* Canon Digital Rebel Xs

* Canon 50?-250 IS Telephoto Lens

* Bargain Tripod

* UV Filters for all lenses

My Software:

* Photoshop CS5

* Live Photo Gallery

My websites

* Images - www.flickr.com/christopherlux

* Blog - chrislux.wordpress.com

I have the same camera I only took it off of full auto 5 times LOL. Love to learn how to use it to it's full potential!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• geek-accountant

• ikon

• JDLucas

• JediTim

What I shoot:

* Family / Vacations

* Sports - soccer, baseball, football, basketball

* Landscape -HDR, Pano

My gear (aging as well)

* Sony Alpha A700...replaced a Minolta Maxxum 7

* Sony AF DT 16-105mm F3.5-5.6

* Minolta - AF 24-105 F3.5-4.5 D

* Minolta - AF 50 F1.7

* Minolta - AF 85 F1.4 G D

* Minolta - AF 100 F2.8 Macro

* Minolta - AF 100-400 F4.5-6.7 APO

* Flash - Sony HVL F58AM

* Flash - Minolta 5600HS

* Tripod and Monopod

* Too many camera cases...Tamrac

Computer Software

* Adobe Lightroom

* Adobe Photshop

* HDR - Photomatix Pro

My websites

* Images - www.flickr.com/jeditim

The otherthing I forgot to mention...

I shoot all photos in RAW and almost always in Manual mode versus Program, Aperture, Shutter or any of the scene modes

We need to get you off Auto mode CablDeVil.

JediTim, manual mode allmost always! That is hard core! So you are shooting sports even in manual mode?

I'm at a level even lower than novice! :lol:

I shoot family and whatever suits my fancy. I really like macro stuff. Using the following:

* Sony A200 DSLR with 18-55mm and 75-300mm kit lenses.

I picked it up at the fire sales Circuit City was having when they were liquidating stock. Sadly, I wish I'd bought a Nikon or Canon but the wife didn't give me the green light until it was too late so all they had left were Pentax and Sony DSLRs.

We need to get you off Auto mode CablDeVil.

JediTim, manual mode allmost always! That is hard core! So you are shooting sports even in manual mode?

Yes...mostly it is my sons soccer or baseball game. Using digital has really allowed me to practice without the worry of using film. I definitely have many over / under exposed shots where I didn't make the change but I don't nearly have as many as I did at the beginning. Also, shooting in RAW has allowed me to recover some of my mistakes...this is where Lightroom has become my friend.

Tim

RAW can save the day and it is all I shoot, but I still try and get within a 1/3 of a stop of the correct exposure. Depending on the time of day, when I shot soccer I either use Aperture priority or shutter priority. As long as I don't think the ISO will get out of control, I MAY use auto ISO. However, my gear is no where near as good as the current cameras from a noise perspective, so I try and keep the ISO low.

Also, since I normally shoot soccer games with my 120-300mm f/2.8 lens, I always use a monopod. If the kids are young, I will either sit in a chair or on the ground. IMO, it really makes a big difference to be down on their level when shooting. As long as the shutter remains about 1/500 or better for the little guys/girls, I should be OK. Of course I would love to be around 1/1200+.

As for Lightroom, I love it also. Lightroom is so good that I stopped shooting RAW+JPEG and now ONLY shot RAW. I can shoot an entire game, download the images to the computer and have them up on the site in less than 30 minutes. Including, picking the keepers, editing and uploaded to the site. My work flow with Lightroom is so much better than it was before.

My old equipment:

Canon Rebel XTi (bought the week it was released...I got the last one in the entire city)

Canon f/2.8 L 70-200

Canon f/1.8 50mm (nifty fifty)

Canon 15-55 f/3.5-5-6 (I think) IS

LoweProp CompuTrekker backpack (loved that thing)

Cheap tripod

old video camera tripod

cheap monopod that broke

I actually ended up selling it all for money to buy the HDHomeRun Prime, which eventually got so delayed I bought a hard drive and bought some furniture for my wife.

My wife currently has a Canon SX20 superzoom that takes some really great pictures. Not quite the flexibility of an SLR, but great PQ. One day when the kid is bigger I'll probably jump back in. My thinking is that the pack that I sold for $500 (not including the nice lens which I sold for $900) I could turn around and in 2 years buy a much better camera than that one. Even now, I can buy a T2i for not much more and that does HD video too.

RAW can save the day and it is all I shoot, but I still try and get within a 1/3 of a stop of the correct exposure. Depending on the time of day, when I shot soccer I either use Aperture priority or shutter priority. As long as I don't think the ISO will get out of control, I MAY use auto ISO. However, my gear is no where near as good as the current cameras from a noise perspective, so I try and keep the ISO low.

Also, since I normally shoot soccer games with my 120-300mm f/2.8 lens, I always use a monopod. If the kids are young, I will either sit in a chair or on the ground. IMO, it really makes a big difference to be down on their level when shooting. As long as the shutter remains about 1/500 or better for the little guys/girls, I should be OK. Of course I would love to be around 1/1200+.

As for Lightroom, I love it also. Lightroom is so good that I stopped shooting RAW+JPEG and now ONLY shot RAW. I can shoot an entire game, download the images to the computer and have them up on the site in less than 30 minutes. Including, picking the keepers, editing and uploaded to the site. My work flow with Lightroom is so much better than it was before.

I agree...Lightroom has enabled be to take RAW photos and process much quicker than when I was using only Photoshop. Not too easy to learn but when I first purchased the program I also got Lightroom "Classroom in a Book" which let me learn the proper way to use the program.

Hey ikon, I have reasons for the 9 shots in this picture. Each bracketed HDR is 3 pictures (0, -1, +1 exposure). I used three HDR images across. I tend to use a large amount of overlap to give the software more to work with and limit parallax error. All in all, 9 isn't so many. I wish I had YOUR printer. 74" wide shot sounds cool.

My mistake. It really was 3 shots then and only became 9 because of HDR bracketing; that makes perfect sense. Anyway, like I said, nice shot.

let's see, equipment:

*Hasselblad 500C

two 12 backs

45 deg. viewfinder

rapid wind crank

sliding bellows lens shade

100mm Planar lens

*Canon T2i

kit lens

50mm f/1.8

70-200mm f/4 L zoom

adapter to use the Hasselblad 100mm

*Canon Rebel xT

kit lens

*Leica M4 (1952 German version)

Summicron 50mm f/1.2 (with macro capability and rangefinder adapter for macro)

Elmar 90mm f/1.4

a very rare Canadian made Summicron 90mm f/1.2

Mecablitz CT-1 flash kit

Edited by ikon