Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
subarunut

EX485 running extreamly slowly

10 posts in this topic

As of late, my EX485 has become so slow that I never use the connector from my PC's anymore. I just RD into the WHS and then open the connector there, but even there it can take up to 5 - 10 minutes to start up. I have uninstalled just about all my add-in's and that helped, but only for a short time. I have all updates installed (including PP3, but was having this issue before PP3).

Any thoughts? I have a feeling that I need to do a factory reset on the OS partition.

How are the system resources? RAM usage? How full are the hard drives? How well are they balanced?

Definitely take usacomp2k3's advice and check the resources in task manager and the hard drive capacities. How is transfer performance? Do you notice any slowness with sending or receiving large files to the server?

In addition to the above advice, I'd check temps. (I'm wondering if CPU is thermal throttling. Are these HP units set up to do that?) If still no luck, I'd do a back up, then a reset like you said.

Thanks for the info. I have been keeping an eye on the resources. I have been keeping an eye on them, I have used about 3.8TB of 5TB of storrage space. I haven't checked the ballancing outside of the windows auto ballancing. When the CPU gets pegged, it seems to always be the TwonkyMediaServer running at about 80+% (I thought I turned it off, in my investigation but I guess I forgot to do that). Pagefile seems to hover at about 1GB most of the time. Temps seem to be hovering at about ~50C like I have read that most MSS's run at.

So if you turn off Twonky, is it any faster?

I finally got in and turned it off. It is running ok at best in Remote Desktop into the WHS, but from the clients, it takes for ever to connect.

I wonder if it might be a networking issue. What router are you using? It probably wouldn't hurt to see if there is a firmware upgrade for it.

I have a netgear N router (don't remember the model right now and at work currently), but I regularly check firmware for it and it is updated to the latest as of this last weekend. I have no issues with backups of the clients or moving content around including backups of DVD's and HDTV recordings. I have everything that is hardwired connected via 1Gb and my laptops are either G and N and I have a MCE extender connected via N and streaming media from either my MCE system or my MMS works flawlessly.

Though I do have a couple querks, the MCE extender dropps off the network every once in a while (from what I have read it is normal when over wifi), UPNP doesn't work (I have actually never gotten this to work with any of my previous routers as well), and MMS doesn't show it because of the UPNP.

Have an update. disabled Twonky compleatly and the server is working a lot better.