RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Restore clean from Vista to Win 7

subarunut

So, from what I understand, the restore from WHS restores the system as it was. Is there a way for users to do a clean install of win7 and restore your data/programs from Vista or XP? Or is it just restoring data only in that senario?

Unfortunately it can't restore programs. However, what you can do, is run a manual backup, then install win as an upgrade (and fall within the upgrade restrictions). That should maintain both your data and programs. You can always pull random stuff (off of the backup) that might not have come across in the upgrade.

That said, I will always recommend a clean install. Make sure to clean your stuff up and organize it before you you make the move (I'd move as much to a WHS share as possible) to make the move as seamless as possible.

Part of installing a new OS is that it is shiny clean and works well. Installing all of your programs right off the bat is going to reduce the utility of the system. Plus, there are so many features that are built in that some people don't know of or use because they automatically install another app. Examples are .zip archiving, DVD burning, etc.

Can not arguee with that. Having used a separate drive for OS installs for years now, I go through a fresh install at least once a year (more when things go wroing) just to keep things at max performance and stability.

Thanks for the input. I thought that is what your answers were going to be. I am more than happy to just re-install everyhting. Just thought I would ask because I have friends asking me if there is an easier way and maby with WHS. I have already migrated 90% of my data to the WHS shares so the local stuff should come accross just fine.