RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Installing the Connect software on Win7 Pro system that belongs to a domain

ivanvm

Hello Everyone,

I've been trying to fix this problem for a while now and can't find a documented solution anywhere.

I just upgraded to WHS 2011 on my home build server. I installed the WHS connect software on all my WIn7 home PCs. However, I have a laptop from work with Win7 pro for which the connect software won't install. I can connect to my server and download the connector software (http://myserver:65510/connect/) but it errors during installation with the following message

"An unexpected error has occurred. To resolve this issue, contact the person responsible for your network."

My work laptop belongs to a network domain so I don't know if this is part of the problem.

At work IT won't help as they don't support WHS 2011 :)

I appreciate any help/advice you can provide on this problem. I am sure many others are facing this issue so there must be a fix/work-around.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Regards,

Ivan

Hello Everyone,

I've been trying to fix this problem for a while now and can't find a documented solution anywhere.

I just upgraded to WHS 2011 on my home build server. I installed the WHS connect software on all my WIn7 home PCs. However, I have a laptop from work with Win7 pro for which the connect software won't install. I can connect to my server and download the connector software (http://myserver:65510/connect/) but it errors during installation with the following message

"An unexpected error has occurred. To resolve this issue, contact the person responsible for your network."

My work laptop belongs to a network domain so I don't know if this is part of the problem.

At work IT won't help as they don't support WHS 2011 :)

I appreciate any help/advice you can provide on this problem. I am sure many others are facing this issue so there must be a fix/work-around.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Regards,

Ivan

I assume it is a group policy setting. Can you install any other software; are you an administor of the laptop (local) at least?

I assume it is a group policy setting. Can you install any other software; are you an administor of the laptop (local) at least?

They are not local. All outsourced :(

I can install other software (winrar, office 2010, lightroom, etc.) I noticed I have McAfee Host Instrusion Prevention installed and cannot disable it as it requires a password from IT so maybe this is my problem.

They are not local. All outsourced :(

I can install other software (winrar, office 2010, lightroom, etc.) I noticed I have McAfee Host Instrusion Prevention installed and cannot disable it as it requires a password from IT so maybe this is my problem.

It does sound like a permissions issue and the rights they gave you. I have the same issue with my work laptop.