RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

My Movies for WHS2011 and MM4.00

Playback Failed – Playback Could Not Be Started

http://www.mymovies.dk/forum.aspx?g=posts&t=24228

I also am getting this error in some regards. I have posted in that forum thread and wanted to post here in case this was a possible issue with WHS2011 itself and somebody else was seeing it too. Here is my situation:

I am transitioning from WHS v1 (HP MediaSmart 475) to home built WHS v2 box. I use AnyDVD with MM on clients to rip to Video_TS folders on server. I have already copied all DVD rips (movies and TV series) to v2 box, waiting in Videos share on 6T RAID5.

In preparation I upgraded my v1 server to 1.6.1.5 and my clients to MM 4.00 Build 2.

After it upgraded the database, I made a backup of the database.

I installed MM for WHS2011 2.00 PR5 and waited until it gave me the message that SQL server was installed.

I restored database from backup.

I redirected all titles to new location on new server and set each title to either Movie or TV Series.

Everything looks fine in Collection Management and in Windows Media Center (2 strips with movies and TV series)

However, no title will play properly. I have it set to enter menu upon selecting Play. Either it will play the beginning trailers and stop with a blank screen when it should show menu or movie, or it will just give blank screen. If I try to stop and go to another title to play, it won’t give anything but spinning blue circle and after several seconds give me the “Playback Failed” error.

I still have all of my titles on HP v1 with server, so if I direct the clients to connect back to that server, everything plays fine. I can also play them from WMC Movies Library, if directed at HP v1 server. However not if WMC Movies Library is directed at v2 server. It stalls at same spots.

It is not my rips, because of the above comment, and I just ripped a new title using client to v2. This title will not play from v2. But when I copied that folder back to v1 server and added it to its database, I can play it fine. Thus it is specific to v2. Is it MM for WHS 2011 or is it something with my v2 box?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vinylfreak

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• pcdoc

• Neophyte

I'm thinking that you can't port over the MyMovies database from v1 to v2. You should use the option in MyMovies on the v2 machine to import into your collection, and point to the folder where your movies are.

So these are all rips from the v1 server that you copied to 2011?

Are you ripping on the server with ANYDvd? I wonder if you could try a rip in 2011 and see if it would play.

Is there any PC in the house that you didn't use MM with and you could install the new MM? In case it's an upgrade issue.

Just a couple of thoughts.

I'm thinking that you can't port over the MyMovies database from v1 to v2. You should use the option in MyMovies on the v2 machine to import into your collection, and point to the folder where your movies are.

I have thought about doing this, however I was following some directions I had found in the MyMovies forums from the moderators. The upgrade to the v1 server add-in (1.6.1.5) is designed to work with MM4. So I would imagine how I transferred the database would work.

I will try rebuilding my database later. Hopefully I will also get some response from the MyMovies forum.

So these are all rips from the v1 server that you copied to 2011?

Are you ripping on the server with ANYDvd? I wonder if you could try a rip in 2011 and see if it would play.

Is there any PC in the house that you didn't use MM with and you could install the new MM? In case it's an upgrade issue.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Thanks for the reply.

I am using AnyDVD to decrypt. I originally was ripping directly from an external DVD player on the HP box. However I later found that using the client MM software on my main PC worked better (more horsepower and better drive) and directing the rip to the server. I then changed the target path and started ripping to my WHS2011 box. Again the actual rip is fine, because I copy a new rip from v2 back to v1 and it works fine.

I suppose I could try loading AnyDVD back on my WHS2011 box and try ripping from the server again. This box definitely has the power (i5-2500k). However, part of me does not want that to work, because then that would mean I would have to re-rip all of my discs.

I loaded MM4 on a laptop and that did not work.

Thanks for the thoughts. I'll try to update this issue as it progresses.

• 2 weeks later...

Update - so I have solved part of where my issue is coming from, and it is most likely not My Movies. I moved a Video_TS folder I was having problems playing to a different share located on a different volume and it plays fine. So let me explain my set up:

I have two storage volumes, both configured on a HighPoint 2680 card.

1. 1 TB (2 x 1 TB WD EADS drives mirrored) - all general storage including music, photos, documents

2. 6 TB (4 x 2 TB WD EARS drives RAID5) - video including DVD Video_TS folders and movies converted to .mp4 for remote access

None of my Video_TS folders will play correctly using either My Movies or the native WMC Movie library. They played fine from my HP Mediasmart server (which I still have and still store my ripped videos as backup until I can get my new WHS2011 working exactly the way I want it). The MP4s play fine as well, remotely and from my Zune client.

However I have now found that if I move a TS folder to another share which is located on my mirrored volume it plays fine.

Here is where I need help. I am new to the RAID arena, so I readily admit that while I read extensively all the articles pcdoc wrote about the RAID card and the forum posts (and the building of the array seemed to go fine), I may have done something wrong. What are your opinions?

1. Is it my array? Should I start over and try rebuilding the array? Or should I switch to mirroring (and lose another 2 TB)?

2. Or could it be the type of drives I chose to use in the array? I have heard EARS drives may not be the most prudent choice for a RAID array. Of course I heard this after I already built it.

Server%20folders.jpg

Hard%20drives.jpg

Arrays.jpg

Edited by Neophyte

I am assuming it is something localized with my setup. There must be several others on this forum that use RAID5 for storing video_TS folders and playback from WHS2011 just fine. Maybe it was the settings I used to build the array. All of the SMART info shows my drives are OK.

I am assuming it is something localized with my setup. There must be several others on this forum that use RAID5 for storing video_TS folders and playback from WHS2011 just fine. Maybe it was the settings I used to build the array. All of the SMART info shows my drives are OK.

Maybe this will help!!

;-D

Sweet_Polly_Purebred_by_A01087379.jpg

Thanks for the chuckle!

Sorry!

Big fan of 70's Cartoons!

And WHS of course!!

:D