RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Rocket RAID 2680 + WHS2011 Install Questions

st3lvio

I'm upgrading my existing WHSv1 to WHS2011.

Existing Build:

Norco RPC-4020 Case

Gigabyte GA-MA785-UD3H MOBO

AMD Phenom II x4 840 CPU

4GB DDR2 RAM

Intel Pro/1000 PT Server Adapter

Corsair TX750 PSU

2 x SuperMicro AOC-SAT2-MV8

I have 8 x WD20EADS , 4 x WD20EARS , and 1 WD20EVDS for storage and a WD Caviar Black WD5001AALS for my OS.

New parts:

HighPoint Rocket RAID 2680

2 x SATA Fan Out Cables

My Plan:

WHS2011 OS on existing 500GB Caviar Black

WD20EVDS for Music & Recorded TV archive

WD20EARS for critical data, backups, and photos, etc.

8 x WD20EADS in RAID5 w the 2680 for Video.

I was using duplication for video in WHSv1 and I admit it was getting out of hand. But, I did have 2 drives go down last year, and duplication saved all my data. RAID5 will better suit my storage needs (I hope).

I moved all my data onto other computers in my network, externals, and the 4 EARS that will not be used in the RAID5 array. I scanned all my drives using the WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic Tool and they are all good to go.

Questions:

1 - I have already installed WHS2011, but I read here pcdoc recommends setting BIOS to AHCI. I think (I'll check when I get home) mine is set by default to Native IDE. I believe I need to re-install my OS after changing this setting (which is not a huge deal) except my RAID5 array is almost built. I know in theory the array should be fine if I choose to re-install after changing BIOS to AHCI. How important is it?

2 - I attempted to re-use one of my SuperMicro AOC-SAT2-MV8 cards, but the drivers killed my first install. I got a message saying drivers not digitally signed. Upon reboot windows would enter system recovery and ask for a system image disc. Only way to get it to boot into windows was to enter POST and disable digital driver enforcement. I tried to then remove the driver in device manager, but it would not let me. So I ending up just reinstalling without the card. Super Micro has not replied to my support email after 4 days asking if the card will be supported in WHS2011, so I'm looking for a replacement for this card. Does anyone have this card working in WHS2011?

3 - Highpoint 2680 questions:

A - JediTim (thanks) found a work around for entering the HighPoint WEB UI Utility described here But although I can enter the utility, I still get a certificate error:

o547k8.jpg

Can this be resolved? I did try to download/install the certificate automatically, but I still get the red error.

I have a monitor connected to my server, so I haven't had to deal with issues accessing it over RDP.

B - I would really like to receive email notifications on any issues with the array (since I don't have that warm & fuzzy feeling about it yet). I did set it up, but it fails when I send a test email. Is there an additional port to forward in my D-Link DIR655? Is there a firewall rule that I need to set & how? Has anyone had success with setting this up?

4 - I want to test my new setup before permanently moving my video collection over to it. What are some suggestions on how to test it? Just copy over data and use it? Are there any apps that will give me an idea of the health of the array. The HighPoint application doesn't seem to show much yet, it should be built when I get home today.

Will HW Monitor show me the temps of the 2680? The card seems to run very hot. I'll be installing this PCI case fan in the slot next to the 2680. So, I'm hoping it will help protect it a bit.

Thanks for the work/testing done by pcdoc, I got the confidence this will be a good solution for my needs.

Edited by st3lvio

I would like to add this observation:

Looking at the "STATUS" window of the RAID Management Web UI I noticed that when pcdoc built his array as described in this thread that started it all his picture shows his array as "Rebuilding". Where mine is showing (see above) as Initializing (Background).

What's the difference. I did boot into windows after I created the array through the BIOS v1.1. Then opened disc management and set the volume to GDP. It shows it as unallocated. I did not format my array. Shouldn't that be done when building is complete? Anyway, that's my plan.

Just wondering why there's a difference 1) STATUS = Rebuilding vs 2) STATUS = Initializing (background)

The user manual doesn't describe this process very well.

I'm upgrading my existing WHSv1 to WHS2011.

Existing Build:

Norco RPC-4020 Case

Gigabyte GA-MA785-UD3H MOBO

AMD Phenom II x4 840 CPU

4GB DDR2 RAM

Intel Pro/1000 PT Server Adapter

Corsair TX750 PSU

2 x SuperMicro AOC-SAT2-MV8

I have 8 x WD20EADS , 4 x WD20EARS , and 1 WD20EVDS for storage and a WD Caviar Black WD5001AALS for my OS.

New parts:

HighPoint Rocket RAID 2680

2 x SATA Fan Out Cables

My Plan:

WHS2011 OS on existing 500GB Caviar Black

WD20EVDS for Music & Recorded TV archive

WD20EARS for critical data, backups, and photos, etc.

8 x WD20EADS in RAID5 w the 2680 for Video.

I was using duplication for video in WHSv1 and I admit it was getting out of hand. But, I did have 2 drives go down last year, and duplication saved all my data. RAID5 will better suit my storage needs (I hope).

I moved all my data onto other computers in my network, externals, and the 4 EARS that will not be used in the RAID5 array. I scanned all my drives using the WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic Tool and they are all good to go.

Questions:

1 - I have already installed WHS2011, but I read here pcdoc recommends setting BIOS to AHCI. I think (I'll check when I get home) mine is set by default to Native IDE. I believe I need to re-install my OS after changing this setting (which is not a huge deal) except my RAID5 array is almost built. I know in theory the array should be fine if I choose to re-install after changing BIOS to AHCI. How important is it?

2 - I attempted to re-use one of my SuperMicro AOC-SAT2-MV8 cards, but the drivers killed my first install. I got a message saying drivers not digitally signed. Upon reboot windows would enter system recovery and ask for a system image disc. Only way to get it to boot into windows was to enter POST and disable digital driver enforcement. I tried to then remove the driver in device manager, but it would not let me. So I ending up just reinstalling without the card. Super Micro has not replied to my support email after 4 days asking if the card will be supported in WHS2011, so I'm looking for a replacement for this card. Does anyone have this card working in WHS2011?

3 - Highpoint 2680 questions:

A - JediTim (thanks) found a work around for entering the HighPoint WEB UI Utility described here But although I can enter the utility, I still get a certificate error:

o547k8.jpg

Can this be resolved? I did try to download/install the certificate automatically, but I still get the red error.

I have a monitor connected to my server, so I haven't had to deal with issues accessing it over RDP.

B - I would really like to receive email notifications on any issues with the array (since I don't have that warm & fuzzy feeling about it yet). I did set it up, but it fails when I send a test email. Is there an additional port to forward in my D-Link DIR655? Is there a firewall rule that I need to set & how? Has anyone had success with setting this up?

4 - I want to test my new setup before permanently moving my video collection over to it. What are some suggestions on how to test it? Just copy over data and use it? Are there any apps that will give me an idea of the health of the array. The HighPoint application doesn't seem to show much yet, it should be built when I get home today.

Will HW Monitor show me the temps of the 2680? The card seems to run very hot. I'll be installing this PCI case fan in the slot next to the 2680. So, I'm hoping it will help protect it a bit.

Thanks for the work/testing done by pcdoc, I got the confidence this will be a good solution for my needs.

Here is hopefully some answers to your questions.

1. AHCI is not a critical setting and will not make much difference in a WHS. AHCI is not supported (hot swap issue) in RAID so your RAID card/setup will not be affected either way as it is not controlled by your BIOS. The punchline is either way you set you BIOS will be fine.

2. No input as I never tried this card.

3. I am sure there is a solution for the certificate error as I get them on all my setups however I have not looked to find it as it has no impact on what has to be done. It is simply a security warning since you are accessing the device through a specific port and does not cause any harm or prevent you from accessing the site. Personally I would not worry to much about at this time as once you get it setup you will not go into it very much. Once you click to continue, it should function normally.

3B. The email notification should work fine and do not require any port forwarding of any type. The problem is in your SMTP settings for you provider. Depending on who you are using, I would search to find the proper settings for your provider keeping in mind that there are a few that may give you problems. If you can tell me who your provider is we might be able to guide you in the right direction.

4. Writing and reading lot of data to it is good place to start. If you want to test it, pull of the drives off and make sure you can still access all the data. If you have a spare, you can just add it in and make sure it will rebuild the array. Note that the rebuild priority can be changed in the settings tab when you go into the web ui. You will also see other data under the SHI tab which is essentially a "smart" tab that shows you temps and such. The main page (your screen shot) is where you will see that all is well with the array. You can run a verify by clicking on the maintenance tab anytime you want but remember it takes the same amount of time to verify as to rebuild. Lastly, check the event section as it will track any problems it encounters and tell you if it corrected it. Too many error might indicated a problem.

As for your heat concern, I agree. I used a standard 60-80mm fan and mounted it to a blank pci cover so it essentially looks like the link you sent except that I picked a quieter fan and directed the airflow to the heatsink as opposed to drawing air out. The item you selected will not work very well as it is more of an exhauster and is very directional. I tried a couple of these and was not happy with the noise or results. Just use a nice quiet fan and glue it or screw it onto a blank plate and your problems will be resolved. Just to be clear, the fan is not required and is mainly a security thing. These devices are designed to run that hot without an issue but for me I like things cool. Makes me feel better so I added a fan. Almost every controller made that uses passive cooling will get hot so it there is nothing wrong with your card.

I hope this answers your questions and good luck with it. This is one heck of an array. Be very interested in an update after you have had a chance to use it. One last thing. I noticed you are using EADS as I am, so one thing I would suggest is getting 1 or 2 spares as you see deals as these drives are being slowly phased out in favor of the 4k (EARS) drives. Not a urgent thing but I would recommend it. Better to safe than sorry as mixing drives is not recommended. It may work but you may have syncing issues with different drives. The highpoint is very flexible and much better than motherboard controllers but you can still have issues with different drives.

I would like to add this observation:

Looking at the "STATUS" window of the RAID Management Web UI I noticed that when pcdoc built his array as described in this thread that started it all his picture shows his array as "Rebuilding". Where mine is showing (see above) as Initializing (Background).

What's the difference. I did boot into windows after I created the array through the BIOS v1.1. Then opened disc management and set the volume to GDP. It shows it as unallocated. I did not format my array. Shouldn't that be done when building is complete? Anyway, that's my plan.

Just wondering why there's a difference 1) STATUS = Rebuilding vs 2) STATUS = Initializing (background)

The user manual doesn't describe this process very well.

Yours is showing the initial build and mine was showing status of a verify. Same basic thing but two different processes. Yes, you will have to format the drive once the array is built. It should just a couple of minutes and you will see you 14T array in all its glory.

Thanks for the detailed reply doc. And, thanks for your testing as well.

Ok, no reinstall needed and I'll leave the BIOS as is.

Ok, my array (8 x 2TB) RAID5 took 37hrs to complete. I had 2 errors 1 min apart that were resolved imediately (bad sector on the same EADS). I would think this is nothing much to be concerned about, but something to watch.

I have already looked for an extra EADS drive (NewEgg sold out) which I do plan on keeping at least 1-2 extras on hand. Thanks for that advice.

Thanks for the fan advice. I switched out the stock Norco fans long ago, for 3 120's and different/quiter 80 mm rears. My HD temps are always under 100 degrees. And, I can't hear it scream anymore :rolleyes: But yes, I agree, cooler is always better IMO. So I'll throw in a 80mm and push air onto the 2680 as suggested. Thanks!

Email Notifications. I've played around with this and still no go. I use GMAIL and stmp.gmail.com with port 25 just won't send for me. Why? I have a few other accounts I'll try, but my gmail should work (it does for everything else).

Ok, I see all the other info in the smart data in the SHI (Storage Health Inspector). Thanks. This is what I would like to have emailed to me on a regular basis. Any suggestions here would be appreciated. Can I use (read/write) when preforming maintenance such as verify? Should I verify on a regular basis (once a month) or just let it roll? Thanks again.

My 3 & 5 year olds want their movies back, :angry: so I'll push this thing for a day or two and start production mode when I'm comfortable with it.

Thanks for you help.

Edited by st3lvio

Thanks for the detailed reply doc. And, thanks for your testing as well.

Ok, no reinstall needed and I'll leave the BIOS as is.

Ok, my array (8 x 2TB) RAID5 took 37hrs to complete. I had 2 errors 1 min apart that were resolved imediately (bad sector on the same EADS). I would think this is nothing much to be concerned about, but something to watch.

I have already looked for an extra EADS drive (NewEgg sold out) which I do plan on keeping at least 1-2 extras on hand. Thanks for that advice.

Thanks for the fan advice. I switched out the stock Norco fans long ago, for 3 120's and different/quiter 80 mm rears. My HD temps are always under 100 degrees. And, I can't hear it scream anymore :rolleyes: But yes, I agree, cooler is always better IMO. So I'll throw in a 80mm and push air onto the 2680 as suggested. Thanks!

Email Notifications. I've played around with this and still no go. I use GMAIL and stmp.gmail.com with port 25 just won't send for me. Why? I have a few other accounts I'll try, but my gmail should work (it does for everything else).

Ok, I see all the other info in the smart data in the SHI (Storage Health Inspector). Thanks. This is what I would like to have emailed to me on a regular basis. Any suggestions here would be appreciated. Can I use (read/write) when preforming maintenance such as verify? Should I verify on a regular basis (once a month) or just let it roll? Thanks again.

My 3 & 5 year olds want their movies back, :angry: so I'll push this thing for a day or two and start production mode when I'm comfortable with it.

Thanks for you help.

I would agree on the errors. Keep an eye on it and if it keeps reoccurring then consider a replacement otherwise you should be good to go.

As for Gmail, it does not use port 25. Gmail uses port 465 for outging (ssl) and requires authentication. It uses port 995 for incoming (ssl). Since it needs an SSL connection, it will not work. You need a service that does need SSL to send email. If you use a different account, you will need to check on those settings as well. "Most" do not use port 25 anymore.

Check as often as you feel you need too. I used to check all the time now I am a believer.

Good Luck

I would agree on the errors. Keep an eye on it and if it keeps reoccurring then consider a replacement otherwise you should be good to go.

As for Gmail, it does not use port 25. Gmail uses port 465 for outging (ssl) and requires authentication. It uses port 995 for incoming (ssl). Since it needs an SSL connection, it will not work. You need a service that does need SSL to send email. If you use a different account, you will need to check on those settings as well. "Most" do not use port 25 anymore.

Check as often as you feel you need too. I used to check all the time now I am a believer.

Good Luck

Thanks Mike, any suggestions/services that do not use ssl? My isp uses ssl as well, it seems email notifications with the HighPoint App may be harder to set up than I thought. :(

Thanks Mike, any suggestions/services that do not use ssl? My isp uses ssl as well, it seems email notifications with the HighPoint App may be harder to set up than I thought. :(

I am using 1and1.com (they host my web site) and it seems to work fine. TIme Warner does not use SSL either. I am not sure who your provider is but you can try hotmail, godaddy or yahoo and see if that works out. It may require some experimentation.

I am using 1and1.com (they host my web site) and it seems to work fine. TIme Warner does not use SSL either. I am not sure who your provider is but you can try hotmail, godaddy or yahoo and see if that works out. It may require some experimentation.

My ISP is Cox, and I can't get it to work as well. I found this post and may try yahoo. I'll post when I find a solution.

Thanks

My ISP is Cox, and I can't get it to work as well. I found this post and may try yahoo. I'll post when I find a solution.

Thanks

I just tried hotmail, it does not work either. Let us know if Yahoo works. I will try later today and report back.

Update, just tried Yahoo and it does not work either as it uses SSL.

Edited by pcdoc

I just tried hotmail, it does not work either. Let us know if Yahoo works. I will try later today and report back.

Yahoo is a no go for me as well.

My ISP (Cox) blocks port 25, which most probably do. But they have instructions to use port 465, which doesn't work. I was hoping the post I linked to from hardforum.com would be an answer, but it did not work for me. The OP in that thread had stated (last post) HighPoint support was zero help.

So, the search is still on where to find a email provider that will send out notifications successfully.

Thanks for your input on this. I'm sure others are in the same boat (but may have just given up).