RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Sleep with Remote Open: HTPC + WHS

Reggie

Hello,

I have a windows 7 HTPC and Acer H340 WHS. All my pictures/video/music is stored on the WHS and served out to the HTPC.

Main issue I was having was that my HTPC would not sleep automatically due to remote files being open. The culprit was always my photos on the WHS (usually after a slideshow or the photo screen saver kicked in). If I closed Media Center, it would close those connections and it would sleep normally. Also if I manually triggered the sleep, all was good. It was just the automatic sleep (set to 30 mins) that wouldn't work.

I found this post, http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/t/75159.aspx?PageIndex=2, and followed the instructions to get the Sleep with Remote Opens option in my power management on the HTPC and have that enabled, which seems to solve the problem.

Are there any repercussions for my WHS with allowing the HTPC to sleep with these remote files open? Any chance of file corruption? Anyone else seen this problem before with serving content from the WHS to a HTPC?

Thanks for the help

I'd think there would be minimal potential for corruption if you aren't writing files, just reading them.

This doesn't help, but I noticed that the new addin AdminiMe has a tab called Sessions and it lists the open files.

John (homeservershow).