RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

OS Drive Troubles on New Build

CaptainKirk

Help, my C drive is failing on my new install of WHS 2011. It is an older WD 200 gb IDE drive. I have already started to migrate my data over from my WHS version 1 machine. Through this process I have been been deleting files from the old system making room to move more files on the drives that have been emptied. The new system was up and running for about a week before I even started moving the data over. Currently it won't let me make a backup of the system drive using the backup utility. What are my options? Thank you in advance for any help.

If it is just the OS drive with no data on that physical drive, just put in a new one and do a fresh install. WHS 2011 does not attack data that is "NOT" on the primary drive.

Thank you for the reply. I'll be be replacing it tomorrow.

Remember that you will have to re-create or re-point to you data folders as will load with the defaults, and you will have to re-create the users and permissions. Not a big deal but... Took me about an hour to re-create about 8 users, and re-create/re-point to about 20 folders, as well as put in my addins. Good luck and let us know if we can help.

How did it go CaptainKirk? I upgraded from WHSv1 to WHS2011 last week and decided to go with a older WD 320GB HD... not sure how long it will last but with the way you can do a re-install of the WHS2011 OS it is almost a non-event.