RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

User Passwords

Garrett

I was wondering if anyone knows how to set up WHS 2011 to allow the users to change there own passwords on the server instead of relying on the Admin "father" to do it. I know in V.1 if the passwords did not match between user accounts on the client pc and server it gave you the option match the passwords between the client user account and the server user account.

Thank,

Garrett

I was wondering if anyone knows how to set up WHS 2011 to allow the users to change there own passwords on the server instead of relying on the Admin "father" to do it. I know in V.1 if the passwords did not match between user accounts on the client pc and server it gave you the option match the passwords between the client user account and the server user account.

Thank,

Garrett

Do not know of a direct way to this. I believe there is a way to force a new password at an interval but it going deep under the hood.

Do not know of a direct way to this. I believe there is a way to force a new password at an interval but it going deep under the hood.

Thanks, I was afraid that was the case. My son has been getting into passwords and security, changing his password frequently and making it more complex each time. I believe he is up to 18 or 20 characters all random with caps, numbers and symbols. I was hoping I did not have to change the server every time he changes his windows logon password, I do not want to discourage good security habits!

Thanks!

Garrett

Thanks, I was afraid that was the case. My son has been getting into passwords and security, changing his password frequently and making it more complex each time. I believe he is up to 18 or 20 characters all random with caps, numbers and symbols. I was hoping I did not have to change the server every time he changes his windows logon password, I do not want to discourage good security habits!

Thanks!

Garrett

Actually, you don't have to change the server password. It would just mean that he has to enter his old password whenever he tries to access the server shares.

Actually, you don't have to change the server password. It would just mean that he has to enter his old password whenever he tries to access the server shares.

Yeah, I know. But, it is a pain to try to remember two passwords, instead of being logged in automatically to the server shares.