RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

San Digital Tower Raid

thobel

Can anyone explan to me what the differences are between these 3.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006519%2050011118%2040000509&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=True&CompareItemList=509%7C16-111-145%5E16-111-145-TS%2C16-111-139%5E16-111-139-TS%2C16-111-172%5E16-111-172-TS

I'm looking to use it to make backup copies of my data so I'm thinking of setting it up with raid 0 since I don't really care if I lose the data (its a backup)

On a side note I know you cant backup disks greater then 2TB (my data volume is 20TB) Are their any good 3rd party backup tools that will work on WHS 2011?

I don't know much about using the San Digital boxes, but the first one is eSata only. The other 2 both have USB 3.0 in addition to eSata. Also, the 2 with USB 3.0 are the same box just 1 is newer and looks like they changed the ventilation.

This quote is from the manufacturer to someone's comment on Newegg: "There are the same version of the hardware inside as far as USB 3.0, so there are no difference on TR5UT-BP compare to TR5UT+B."

I don't know much about using the San Digital boxes, but the first one is eSata only. The other 2 both have USB 3.0 in addition to eSata. Also, the 2 with USB 3.0 are the same box just 1 is newer and looks like they changed the ventilation.

This quote is from the manufacturer to someone's comment on Newegg: "There are the same version of the hardware inside as far as USB 3.0, so there are no difference on TR5UT-BP compare to TR5UT+B."

Great thanks for the quick replay since I'm not using USB the lower priced one seems to fit the bill.

Edited by thobel

I've had the chance of testing all three (the review on the TR5UT+B is actually mine), and I'd have to say, you should go for the TR5M-BP. Here's the breakdown as I see it:

1) TR5M-BP - Hard drive enclosure with a eSATA port multiplier. Any RAID on the unit will involve calculations on the CPU, especially RAID 5. If the box is being used as a backup with RAID 0/1, this one should be fine.

2) TR5UT-BP - Now you move upto a hardware RAID engine. The advantage here is that the RAID is 100% self-contained in the box, the OS just sees a large hard drive and that's it. Better read/write performance, though I wasn't able to get the USB 3.0 port to work with my motherboard.

3) TR5UT+B - The one I currently have, though I haven't actually seen any difference compared to the previous version. It's supposed to be a newer "3rd gen" version of the previous TR5UT-BP with a faster hardware RAID engine. I kept it mainly because the restocking fee on Newegg would have cost me a good $20. I've never gotten USB 3.0 working either, but eSATA works great.

For your use, I'd just go with the cheapest option and be done with it. Any RAID5 setup should be using hardware RAID like in the TR5UT-BP or TR5UT+B. Makes life easier.

Edited by dagamer34

I've had the chance of testing all three (the review on the TR5UT+B is actually mine), and I'd have to say, you should go for the TR5M-BP. Here's the breakdown as I see it:

1) TR5M-BP - Hard drive enclosure with a eSATA port multiplier. Any RAID on the unit will involve calculations on the CPU, especially RAID 5. If the box is being used as a backup with RAID 0/1, this one should be fine.

2) TR5UT-BP - Now you move upto a hardware RAID engine. The advantage here is that the RAID is 100% self-contained in the box, the OS just sees a large hard drive and that's it. Better read/write performance, though I wasn't able to get the USB 3.0 port to work with my motherboard.

3) TR5UT+B - The one I currently have, though I haven't actually seen any difference compared to the previous version. It's supposed to be a newer "3rd gen" version of the previous TR5UT-BP with a faster hardware RAID engine. I kept it mainly because the restocking fee on Newegg would have cost me a good $20. I've never gotten USB 3.0 working either, but eSATA works great.

For your use, I'd just go with the cheapest option and be done with it. Any RAID5 setup should be using hardware RAID like in the TR5UT-BP or TR5UT+B. Makes life easier.

Thank you for the breakdown that helped alot.

What software do you guys use for backups of volumes larger then 2TB?