RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Opinions About My WHS 2011 Build

PCEddie

Hey All,

I am working on a WHS 2011 build for a client and would like to get your opinions. This WHS 2011 build will be used as a file and backup server for a small company. Their is a potential of adding music and video streaming capabilities to the WHS. The network consists of 4 Windows XP Pro computers, 1 Window Vista Business laptop, and 1 Windows 7 Home Premium laptop that will connect to the WHS by Cat5. Their is a potential to connect 2 Windows XP Pro laptops to the WHS.

Here is my Amazon Wish list.

What do you all think?

Any particular reason you aren't using Sandy Bridge? I ask because if you have a MicroCenter near by you, you can get a Core i3 2100T for $99. And if you get that, you can get this motherboard which has 2 USB 3.0 ports (never know when you'll need to hook one up.

If this server is going to be used by a business, then uptime is VERY important. The last thing you need is for the server disk to crash. I'd recommend getting something like this IcyDock. It lets you do a built-in RAID1 without the operating system being aware of it, so that if a server OS drive fails, you can still run your system.

Thanks for your response dagamer34,

I have overlooked Core i3 2100T processor and ASUS P8H67-M LE (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard. I will update my WHS 2011 wish list build. What do you think of using Corsair TW3X4G1333C9 XMS3 4GB 2 X 2 GB PC3-10666 1333Mhz Dual Channel 240-pin DDR3 Desktop Memory with the processor and motherboard combo? I will also add ICY DOCK MB982SPR-2S Full Metal Dual 2.5" to 3.5" SATA HDD & SSD Converter with RAID for PC & Mac Pro and another 2.5 inch 320 GB hard drive too.

These are great suggestions,

PC Eddie

Any particular reason you aren't using Sandy Bridge? I ask because if you have a MicroCenter near by you, you can get a Core i3 2100T for $99. And if you get that, you can get this motherboard which has 2 USB 3.0 ports (never know when you'll need to hook one up.

If this server is going to be used by a business, then uptime is VERY important. The last thing you need is for the server disk to crash. I'd recommend getting something like this IcyDock. It lets you do a built-in RAID1 without the operating system being aware of it, so that if a server OS drive fails, you can still run your system.

Guest no-control

Honestly if this is for a business that is your client I would go with an OEM product for the support and warranty.

I would consider no less than either an HP x310, HP Microserver or Proliant ML-110.

just my opinion

I agree with the hardware comments that dagamer34 made however no-control has an interesting point. Depending on the budget/expandability, it may make more sense to go off the shelf. If you want to build you own, here is a couple of additional comments on your selections.

- Consider a case that has better front air flow. The one you picked out has only one fan for 5 drives so air flow will be inconsistent. The other point on the case is you may want to consider a slight better looking case. Presumably, this server is going to cost a couple of bucks and you are selling to a customer so presentation and esthetic's are important. Go with something that has a nice finish and that well constructed with some rubber mounted drives so that it is quiet as well.

- You might consider a different PS. Nothing wrong with that one but the cables on this model are a mile long and pretty stiff. If later you add a raid card or additional drives later, things might get a bit tight. Not a big deal just wanted to point it out. Good luck.

Hey All,

Thanks for your responses. I have looked into everyones suggestions and came up with a updated build. Below is the links to the updated WHS 2011 build.

Updated WHS 2011 Build

What do you all think?

PC Eddie

Looks good. However, if youhave the cash I would go aheand and get 7200 rpm drives.

Hey All,

Thanks for your responses. I have looked into everyones suggestions and came up with a updated build. Below is the links to the updated WHS 2011 build.

Updated WHS 2011 Build

What do you all think?

PC Eddie

If this is really for a WHS 2011 build, go for a motherboard with a H67 chipset, not a P67 one, as then you'll be able to use the integrated GPU on the Core i3 CPU as well as have a motherboard with built-in VGA and DVI. Unless you want to stick in a video card into the server (which is never a really good idea), integrated is always the best way to go. A comparable board from ASUS is the ASUS H67-M Pro. Just about the only thing you loose is the eSATA port on the back. However, based on my experience, ASUS' motherboard driver disc didn't like installing on a server OS that much, and it took a lot more work than the motherboard I eventually got: MSI H67MA-E45. Works great without any issues.

Edited by dagamer34

For a business environment, and some of our home environments, perhaps its better to go with a server-class board such as the Intel S1200BTS (roughly $175). This way you can put ECC memory in it with a low-end Xeon such as the E3-1220 ($210). These costs really aren't much higher than the consumer level gear and yet you get better support and stability, along with features like optional remote management.