RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Anybody using Firefly media server on WHS to stream music?

fredload

I am trying to find the best solution for streaming all of my music around my house without having to turn on my main PC. I currently use Itunes to stream to my Roku Soundbridge and my other PC's, but have all of my music stored on my server and must turn on my PC to stream my playlists. I like itunes because of my ipods and ipad have a ton of playlists that I have spent countless hours putting together over the years. I was reading the Firefly media server will read the playlists and the itunes library straight from the server, which I would love to do. But I have also read a couple of posts where people were having some trouble with firefly. So, I thought I would throw it out to the forums and see if anyone had a good solution and see if anybody recommends firefly? I really don't want to waste time trying to set it up if it is not worth it. Thanks for any help you can give.

I use FirePlay. It does a good job. Some players mess up the sorting but FirePlay works for me. There is a FirePlay addin by Nigel Wilks that is very easy to install. http://www.mediasmartserver.net/add-ins/#FirePlay

I also install MP3tag on my server and RDC to organize the tags to properly display in FirePlay.

Your next option is subsonic, but there is no addin install.

I use FirePlay. It does a good job. Some players mess up the sorting but FirePlay works for me. There is a FirePlay addin by Nigel Wilks that is very easy to install. http://www.mediasmar...d-ins/#FirePlay

I also install MP3tag on my server and RDC to organize the tags to properly display in FirePlay.

Your next option is subsonic, but there is no addin install.

Whatever happened to the Subsonic development, John?

Whatever happened to the Subsonic development, John?

Christian Johnson the addin developer has been busy with school stuff and this was put on the back burners. We did speak this week about getting it ready for WHS2011 (also v1)so that might speed things up. The Subsonic developer has given Christian the go ahead to use subsonic as a WHS addin.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update. I added firefly and the fireplay plugin. The only issue I am having is that the firefly server will shut down without warning from time to time. I am not sure why this is happening, anyone else have this same problem with firefly?

• 4 months later...

I used Firefly and Fireplay on both my WHSv1 server and I manually added it back to my WHS2011 when I rebuilt it in June. I had a couple lingering problems that always bothered me such as some albums wouldnt display the album art, despite the fact that my ENTIRE library has correctly scraped folder.jpgs of all album art in their respective folders. Plus, Fireplay couldnt handle non MP3 CBR files. Several of my VBR MP3s and other formats wouldnt play at all.

I finally discovered Subsonic (which it appears several of you have as well) and I LOVE it. Not only does it display all of my album art correctly and can play every single music file I have, it has a really nice web GUI, plus it has iPhone and Android apps which work really well, and its really easy to install.

I have it running as a service in WHS2011, and I redirected it to port 666 and thats it! Yeah, there is no Dashboard plugin, but you really dont need it. I cant think of anything you would need to do on the Dashboard once you have it up and running.