RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Geoff Coupe's Blog has 2 recent stories about 2TB limitations, thoughts?

tinkererguy

Do you have a client to backup with a greater than 2TB volume?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Reader of this post, do you have a client PC to backup to WHS2011 with a greater than 2TB volume?

I have WHS v1 box that is faithfully backing up a video editing rig (Win 7 x64), with 2.4TB of data on a RAID array (D: drive of GPT partition type). A few file types are excluded (recorded TV), but the total is still >2TB and it seems to be working fine (for 2 years now).

As I continue planning my move to WHS 2011, I came across these 2 posts:

Backups in Windows Home Server 2011

http://gcoupe.wordpress.com/2011/02/28/backups-in-windows-home-server-2011/

I Don’t Believe It!

http://gcoupe.wordpress.com/2011/03/05/i-dont-believe-it-2/

This sentence in the first article got my attention:

Even more frustrating, you can’t even backup a client computer that has a disc of more than 2TB assigned as one contiguous space. The Windows 7 client computer will be perfectly happy, but WHS 2011 will refuse to have anything to do with it.

Opinions?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tinkererguy

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• gcoupe

• dagamer34

They have butchered several critical components. I think I am over the DE thing, but all these backup issues are rediculous.

Can anybody confirm, with tests they've done first hand, whether this client backup limit is indeed the case with the RTM of WHS2011? I may be testing it myself within a week or two, but haven't had a chance to do that test quite yet.

I am also over the DE issue and built my WHS with RAID 1 to internally mirror my documents/ clients/ music and photos. I also created a large RAID 5 for my videos. I haven't setup the WHS backup yet and based on Geoff's write-up I am not going to be pleased. I added a removable SATA drive port to the front of my server for the express intent on using it to backup the RAID 1 of the documents/ clients/ music and photos...his article leads me to believe this is going to be a hassle.

Can anybody confirm, with tests they've done first hand, whether this client backup limit is indeed the case with the RTM of WHS2011? I may be testing it myself within a week or two, but haven't had a chance to do that test quite yet.

None of my clients have more than 2TB of storage...the vast majority is on the WHS. My main PC is running with several SSD drives and one HDD drive which don't have more than 2TB. This issue will not affect me...at least not yet.

I have heard the BYOB and Home Server Show podcast guys talk about this and it is exactly as the blog states. Absolutely worthless.

I wonder if SBS is limited like this as well? I have thought about testing it in a VM or even just using S2008R2 as my server for backups.

I have heard the BYOB and Home Server Show podcast guys talk about this and it is exactly as the blog states. Absolutely worthless.

I wonder if SBS is limited like this as well? I have thought about testing it in a VM or even just using S2008R2 as my server for backups.

It's a limitation in the .VHD file format used for backups. Microsoft isn't purposefully sabotaging home users, but it probably isn't something the WHS team could have fixed easily (their priority is probably a reliable backup solution over dealing with the 2TB limit).

If anything, they'd have to extend the format to include 64-bit support so it can go above 2TB, but the actual Windows Server team would probably be the one making that call.

If anything, they'd have to extend the format to include 64-bit support so it can go above 2TB, but the actual Windows Server team would probably be the one making that call.

What do you mean by this? WHS2011 and S2008R2 that it is based on are both 64 bit.

What do you mean by this? WHS2011 and S2008R2 that it is based on are both 64 bit.

The file format itself is 32-bit.

I have WHS v1 box that is faithfully backing up a video editing rig (Win 7 x64), with 2.4TB of data on a RAID array (D: drive of GPT partition type). A few file types are excluded (recorded TV), but the total is still >2TB and it seems to be working fine (for 2 years now).

Here's a picture, to show my storage on this video editing rig I spoke of (above quote):

GPT.jpg

I'm in the middle of doing a backup to my WHS2011 test rig now, with it's 7TB RAID E: drive/partition, which is just native W2K8R2 based software RAID5 for now. It is in the middle of resynching that RAID array, and that is taking days but I ran out of patience, so performance could very well be degraded. But this test and discussion are not really about performance: I'm trying to determine if it finishes the backup or not, and if it can do an (overnight) restore as well. If it fails, I always have the original WHSv1 backup from yesterday to fall back on.

Interesting though, on the WHS2011 testrig called BIGSERVER, just one CPU of 4 is at about 15% to 20% busy, the others are <3% (idle), and the network throughput for Gigabit is about 15% to 25%, which is roughly 200Mbit/sec average, and fairly smooth (see messy screenshot for details).

It's now past 50% complete at roughly 4 hours into this first backup to WHS2011: we'll see what happens. It's strange that at 50% (of about 2.4TB of data total to backup) shows as just 215GB of data on the WHS2011 storage so far:

E:\ServerFolders\Client Computer Backups

BIGSERVERTEST.jpg

On my WHSv1 rig, daily backups of this same video editing rig take 90 minutes roughly (very little data changes on this box most months). It doesn't seem to matter how few changes there are, always about 90 minutes. Will be interesting to do a second daily backup of this same machine, after this first one finishes...

Edited by tinkererguy