RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS 2011 Build

Krankycheese

Not much for new system hardware since most of the parts are from my last PC build, and since I am only testing it currently...

CPU: Intel Q6600

Motherboard: Asus P5E

RAM: 8GB

HDD (O/S): 250GB Seagate laptop driver

HDD (Data): 160GB IBAM Deskstar

Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER Black ATX Mid Tower

Once I feel comfortable with the setup of the server and how it works. The data drive will be replaced with the three 1 TB drives in my EX485. My storage needs are low, but it's nice to have a central point to store the photos, docs, and music. One disk will store the data. The second will be the backup to the first. The third disk will be for server backup. I am still debating whether I want the PC's in my network to be backed up.

Not much for new system hardware since most of the parts are from my last PC build, and since I am only testing it currently...

CPU: Intel Q6600

Motherboard: Asus P5E

RAM: 8GB

HDD (Data): 160GB IBAM Deskstar

Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER Black ATX Mid Tower

Once I feel comfortable with the setup of the server and how it works. The data drive will be replaced with the three 1 TB drives in my EX485. My storage needs are low, but it's nice to have a central point to store the photos, docs, and music. One disk will store the data. The second will be the backup to the first. The third disk will be for server backup. I am still debating whether I want the PC's in my network to be backed up.

It should work fine. The only consideration is the power efficiency of you Q6600. You should measure the wall power after you get it setup. Concept is good though and it will allow you to experiment and grow. Good luck and let us know if we can help.

• 3 weeks later...

What are the best methods/products for determining power efficiency? That is one area that I am unfamiliar with. I was debating a switch to a i3 Sandybridge based system, but the cost of the motherboard, RAM, and CPU was a bit more than I want to spend right now especially since I had Q6600 sitting around from my old PC build. This build was nice and cheap because the only parts I had to buy were the case and the power supply. :)

I liked WHS 2011 enough to go with a production system. The only changes were to the hard drives.

HDD (Data): 1TB WD Green

HDD (Shared Folder Backup): 1 TB WD Green

HDD (Server Backup): 1 TB WD Green

I am using SynchToy to do an echo of the shared folders to the folder backup drive. For cloud backup, I am using Crashplan which I only heard about recently.

What are the best methods/products for determining power efficiency?

In the end, isn't it all about how much juice your system sucks from the wall? After all, that's what you actually pay for. To me, a Kill-A-Watt or similar device is the best way to measure your system's efficiency; if it has the performance you need and uses an amount of power you can accept, case closed.

I agree with ikon, use a kill-a-watt. The power you draw out of wall in both idle and load conditions will tell you if it is worthwhile to upgraded. My guess is that there is a payback but it will take awhile to recover your investment.

The major disadvantage to using a Core 2 Duo/Quad is that there isn't any power gating, which means that all 4 cores are running all the time as compared Sandy Bridge chips where 3 cores can be turned completely off in a quad core variant.