RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Recommendation for 4 bay eSata Enclosure

greenawayj

What's the latest thinking on 4-bay eSata enclosures (for HP ex495)? I'm seeing the icydock Jim reviewed a while back listed for about $250 at Newegg.

http://homeservershow.com/icy-dock-mb561us-4s-quad-bay-external-removable-enclosure.html

But a bunch of others enclosures for anywhere from $100 - $150... Why the extra $$? Is it worth it?

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=compare+esata+4+bay&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=436711108928255218&sa=X&ei=C9XBTYreCsXEgQe3ns3wBQ&ved=0CEcQ8wIwBA#

I'm really just getting this enclosure to house a couple more drives for pooled storage (2 drives) as well as another drive for BDBB (1 drive) with a spare slot for future expansion. I don't think I need any Raid or anything like that. I also don't see any 5-bays that caught my eye (though I know the ex495 will support a 5-bay)

I just lost my OS drive in the EX495 and I'll be doing a server recovery tonight (and hoping everything is still there -- 100% of my shares were duplicated -- if not, then 95% of it is on Wuala anyway.) But I'm getting even more paranoid about some additional backup, particularly for the BDBB so I figured this was a good of a reason as any to further my redundancy. Just not sure what eSata enclosure to get.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Edited by greenawayj

I use a Mediasonic enclosure. It has eSATA, but I am using the USB 3.0 connection instead since you would need a port multipler card to have it see all the drives.

Edited by geek-accountant

I picked up a SANS DIGITAL TR5M-BP 5 Bay enclosure a coupled weeks ago and hooked it up to my ex490. I currently only have one 2TB drive in it, but it is working like a charm.

I picked up a SANS DIGITAL TR5M-BP 5 Bay enclosure a coupled weeks ago and hooked it up to my ex490. I currently only have one 2TB drive in it, but it is working like a charm.

Ditto on the SANS DIGITAL. Picked one up at Micro Center, just make sure you get one with an eSATA connection and have a card that supports Port Multiplier. USB 3.0 is a close second.

+1 for Mediasonic. I've got the HF2-SU3S2 and haven't had any issues with it yet (had it about six months now).

I'm considering picking up one of their raid-supported models since the first one is working out so well.

• 4 weeks later...

I use a Mediasonic enclosure. It has eSATA, but I am using the USB 3.0 connection instead since you would need a port multipler card to have it see all the drives.

+1 for Mediasonic. I've got the HF2-SU3S2 and haven't had any issues with it yet (had it about six months now).

I'm considering picking up one of their raid-supported models since the first one is working out so well.

I have 1 of the 4-bay eSATA ProBoxes; I found it ran very hot. Are you both using green drives in yours? If not, have you not found that the drives run awfully warm? Mine has to run with the fan at full speed with the front cover off (I'm using WD RE2 1TB drives), and that's after I blocked the side vents on the box so the air would go between the drives. Before that, it was even worse. Needless to say, it's pretty loud with the fan at full speed all the time :angry:

Ditto on the SANS DIGITAL. Picked one up at Micro Center, just make sure you get one with an eSATA connection and have a card that supports Port Multiplier. USB 3.0 is a close second.

I'm using the SansDigital TR5UT+B. Got it from Newegg.

How have you found the temps in these boxes? Can you say which drives you're running? I'm looking to run WD RE4-GP 2TB drives. Have any of you used both the Mediasonic and the Sans Digital? If so, can you compare the noise & temps?

These forums continue to be a great source of info and a fun place to discuess tech. :)

Guest no-control

I ran a sansdigital TR4M for a few years via eSATA on my ex470. Loaded with 4 WD GP drives. Temps were fine never had issue with it. Same goes for the noise. Can't speak much otherwise

I ran a sansdigital TR4M for a few years via eSATA on my ex470. Loaded with 4 WD GP drives. Temps were fine never had issue with it. Same goes for the noise. Can't speak much otherwise

thanks for the reply. There are surprisingly few 4 or 5 bay USB3 enclosures out there. Tthe Sans Digital looks to be one of the best I've seen so far.

• 3 weeks later...

I have 1 of the 4-bay eSATA ProBoxes; I found it ran very hot. Are you both using green drives in yours? If not, have you not found that the drives run awfully warm? Mine has to run with the fan at full speed with the front cover off (I'm using WD RE2 1TB drives), and that's after I blocked the side vents on the box so the air would go between the drives. Before that, it was even worse. Needless to say, it's pretty loud with the fan at full speed all the time :angry:

How have you found the temps in these boxes? Can you say which drives you're running? I'm looking to run WD RE4-GP 2TB drives. Have any of you used both the Mediasonic and the Sans Digital? If so, can you compare the noise & temps?

These forums continue to be a great source of info and a fun place to discuess tech. :)

Hmm. I haven't checked explicitly, but I know I've opened the Mediasonic box a few times to swap out drives after it's been running for a while and the heat wasn't noticable.. I'll keep an eye on it, but the drives weren't any more noticably hot that I would expect for a running drive. I believe I have the fan set on 'Auto'. I'm running 4x2TB WD Green drives..

Mind you, my enclosure is located on the bottom shelf in the basement so the ambient temperature is fairly cool usually.