RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Network Connected AV Receiver

TeamStream

WHS Forum,

Please enlighten me as to what are some of the possibilities with a network connected AV Receiver. Is this worth it?

I won't be much help because I am on the fence on this topic. Thus, I have never bought a network connected receiver. I am starting to lean towards individual units for my AV instead of an all in one. This should be an interesting thread.

I think it all depends on the software/firmware that is built into the reciever and what you want to use the network connection for. For example, my Sony BluRay Player is network connected and is great at consumming Youtube and Pandora content, however it is not the best DLNA player. My music library is so huge that it is next to impossible to browse for songs with the current software that is loaded in it. I think with time the software will get better though.

On a side note, I noticed that there is this Sony Recieverthat has a built in network switch, pretty smart since a lot of home theater gear is now internet enabled and needs a connection!

jvk

Edited by jvk

I think they're great, and the prices are coming down so they're "affordable"...depending on what your definition of that is compared to other AVR's. I just bought the Onkyo TX-NR509 for $350 at Amazon a few weeks ago, and I love it. I only needed 5.1 for my living room now, but the TX-NR609 is 7.1 for a theater setting. I'm still going through all it can do, but so far it's great.

The main reason I wanted networking capability is to control it for home automation, there is a free iphone/pad app that Onkyo has which can turn the amp on, change inputs, volume, really just about anything you want. Also, I can use my mControl system to develop automation which will turn it on, change inputs, reset volume, etc whenever I use my remote or iphone/pad. Pretty cool things that I wanted, since I have all of my equipment in a rack downstairs and didn't want to have to depend on IR distribution to manage it.

You can also use the networking to stream music, radio stations, windows 7 play-to, "regular" DLNA, etc. What were the reasons you were thinking of it?

I guess I was wondering what were some real-world applications with the AV receiver connected to the home network. I recently ran into an Onkyo model that seems to have a nice on-screen GUI, something these machines have really been lacking only until recently. With a decent GUI, I can see some potential, but didn't know if people had experience with these to sell me on the idea of including this in some anticipated upgrades. A Pandora app running on the receiver could be cool, but nothing that an HTPC couldn't handle.

I guess I'm really underwhelmed so far by the possibilities.

I could see the iOS app as potentially interesting, IF I had the receiver running a multi-zone whole-home audio system and would ever want to change the source from across the house but that proposed setup isn't going to happen in my house anytime soon.

I think they're great, and the prices are coming down so they're "affordable"...depending on what your definition of that is compared to other AVR's. I just bought the Onkyo TX-NR509 for $350 at Amazon a few weeks ago, and I love it. I only needed 5.1 for my living room now, but the TX-NR609 is 7.1 for a theater setting. I'm still going through all it can do, but so far it's great.

The main reason I wanted networking capability is to control it for home automation, there is a free iphone/pad app that Onkyo has which can turn the amp on, change inputs, volume, really just about anything you want. Also, I can use my mControl system to develop automation which will turn it on, change inputs, reset volume, etc whenever I use my remote or iphone/pad. Pretty cool things that I wanted, since I have all of my equipment in a rack downstairs and didn't want to have to depend on IR distribution to manage it.

You can also use the networking to stream music, radio stations, windows 7 play-to, "regular" DLNA, etc. What were the reasons you were thinking of it?

I'm just waiting for a networked AV Receiver that passes Ethernet over HDMI so I can cut down on some clutter when devices fully support the HDMI 1.4 standard.

I guess I was wondering what were some real-world applications with the AV receiver connected to the home network. I recently ran into an Onkyo model that seems to have a nice on-screen GUI, something these machines have really been lacking only until recently. With a decent GUI, I can see some potential, but didn't know if people had experience with these to sell me on the idea of including this in some anticipated upgrades. A Pandora app running on the receiver could be cool, but nothing that an HTPC couldn't handle.

I guess I'm really underwhelmed so far by the possibilities.

I could see the iOS app as potentially interesting, IF I had the receiver running a multi-zone whole-home audio system and would ever want to change the source from across the house but that proposed setup isn't going to happen in my house anytime soon.

I needed to purchase a new AV recieved a little over a year ago when I replaced my TV and needed HDMI inputs. I wanted to purchase an internet connected received but the cost to upgrade to the next level would have been another $500 or almost double what I was spending. I purchased an Onkyo TXSR607 and have been pleased. I don't stream music to the received and I have an ipod which I can easily connect anyway and the on screen menus from the Onkyo are like looking at my BIOS computer screen.

Guess the next purchase will have that as an option.

I needed to purchase a new AV recieved a little over a year ago when I replaced my TV and needed HDMI inputs. I wanted to purchase an internet connected received but the cost to upgrade to the next level would have been another $500 or almost double what I was spending. I purchased an Onkyo TXSR607 and have been pleased. I don't stream music to the received and I have an ipod which I can easily connect anyway and the on screen menus from the Onkyo are like looking at my BIOS computer screen.

Guess the next purchase will have that as an option.

I did the same thing and have not been disappointed. If I where doing it today, I would go the connected route buy since I have an HTPC on each receiver it is not much of an issue. To have iPad app would be cool though. You can not go wrong with an Onkyo.