RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Need a secondary media server...

SolidSonicTH

Since I can't transcode .mkv files with WHS' integrated Silverlight system, I want to put a second media server onto my WHS system so I can also put my .mkv files onto my server.

What would you suggest? I'm thinking TVersity.

You can play MKVs with WHS2011 and Silverlight as long as the proper codec(s) are installed. MKV is just a container. The question is what codec was used to encode the audio and video inside the MKV. If it was h.264 (aka MP4) for the video and AAC for video, a common use, it will stream them. i've done it. There are some challenges with aspect ratio which should get fixed with Silverlight updates.

You can play MKVs with WHS2011 and Silverlight as long as the proper codec(s) are installed. MKV is just a container. The question is what codec was used to encode the audio and video inside the MKV. If it was h.264 (aka MP4) for the video and AAC for video, a common use, it will stream them. i've done it. There are some challenges with aspect ratio which should get fixed with Silverlight updates.

Really now...?

Well, it's worth a shot. Most (probably all) of my MKVs have videos encoded in MP4 so that should be a non-issue.

What did you do to get the Remote Web Access site to add .mkv files to the available library? I installed a codec pack but that hasn't allowed me to see any of the mkv files I added to the server.

I understand that .mkv is a container type but it still has its own file extension, one that isn't natively recognized as an acceptable format for WHS access.

I installed the Shark007 codec pack and got MKV streaming to work EXCEPT the aspect ratio is 4:3, which kinda makes it useless. I've heard it's a Silverlight bug, because the same thing happens to Recorded TV content in a .wtv container.

If you want to play MKVs from your server to another Windows 7 PC, I'd recommend installing the Shark007 codec pack on that PC, then My Movies so it integrates with Windows Media Center. Or if you are interested in streaming MKVs to an iPad/iPhone, install Air Video Server onto your WHS box and get the Air Video apps on the App Store.

Edited by dagamer34

I installed the Shark007 codec pack and got MKV streaming to work EXCEPT the aspect ratio is 4:3, which kinda makes it useless. I've heard it's a Silverlight bug, because the same thing happens to Recorded TV content in a .wtv container.

If you want to play MKVs from your server to another Windows 7 PC, I'd recommend installing the Shark007 codec pack on that PC, then My Movies so it integrates with Windows Media Center. Or if you are interested in streaming MKVs to an iPad/iPhone, install Air Video Server onto your WHS box and get the Air Video apps on the App Store.

Ding. You can install just the MKV and AAC codecs, but you also have to ensure the files are set for playback by WMP. Sharkys is easier, and the only codec "pack" I'd use since it is the only one that doesn't screw up Windows' native playback.

I love My Movies, but that is more eye candy than a requirement. Air Video Server is a great, fast transcoding system for PC to iOS systems. Good answer, dagamer.

Ding. You can install just the MKV and AAC codecs, but you also have to ensure the files are set for playback by WMP. Sharkys is easier, and the only codec "pack" I'd use since it is the only one that doesn't screw up Windows' native playback.

I love My Movies, but that is more eye candy than a requirement. Air Video Server is a great, fast transcoding system for PC to iOS systems. Good answer, dagamer.

Yep, do keep in mind that while Air Video will even transcode .wtv files (Yep, it's true!), HD recordings require a LOT of CPU power to transcode in real-time if you want them to be HD-ish on your iPad/iPhone as well. I had on and off issues with a Core i3-2100 I had installed thinking that would be enough, but needed to step up to a quad-core to make sure everything was running smoothly. Now, it's likely that I didn't need to move up to a Core i5-2400, but at a $50 cost difference, it was minor enough that it didn't matter to me.

Long story short: Air Video + beefy CPU + .wtv files = watching copy-free Recorded TV on your iPhone/iPad. And yes, it works over the Internet (with enough upload speed). :)

Two thumbs up on Shark's Codec - I have it installed on my Htpc just for my mkv rips.

Also Thanks for the info on the WHS2011 as I am still transferring all my data to it from V1 I haven't had time to test the streaming features with the RTM.

Alright, I installed the Sharky codec and that got the Remote Web Access site to make the MKV files appear as accessible videos when I go to "Browse Videos" but I still can't play them back. They just show up as 0 byte files with no runtime.