RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Any Word on Availability?

Aart

Please correct me if I am wrong and direct me to my options right now. If I want a legal copy right now, I can join Technet for $200 and am able to download the Final release version that is available there. DO I need to do anything once the final release to the public is out ?

Or

I can get a "leaked iso" and when release to the public buy a key to activate it. Correct ?

What is a "hash" ? (Sorry new to WHS)

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• geek-accountant

• kermi

• dagamer34

The technet version is fully operational. You would not have to do anything later.

I was reading on another forum that v2 will never be released for retail (ie you will never be able to buy it at newegg, tigerdirect, etc).

The technet version is fully operational. You would not have to do anything later.

I was reading on another forum that v2 will never be released for retail (ie you will never be able to buy it at newegg, tigerdirect, etc).

They must really be trying to kill WHS if they don't release an OEM product.

That's the rumor I've been hearing, but nothing official coming from Redmond. Even if it's not available via 'normal' retail sources, I would think it could be obtained directly from MS... ?

I gotta say, it's just been lousy how MS has handled this whole thing with WHS. Even though WHS2011 seems like a big improvement (ignoring the absence of DE) It's like they are TRYING to kill it off.

No communication; Ignoring the needs of their customer-base (e.g. axing DE); etc...

That's the rumor I've been hearing, but nothing official coming from Redmond. Even if it's not available via 'normal' retail sources, I would think it could be obtained directly from MS... ?

I gotta say, it's just been lousy how MS has handled this whole thing with WHS. Even though WHS2011 seems like a big improvement (ignoring the absence of DE) It's like they are TRYING to kill it off.

No communication; Ignoring the needs of their customer-base (e.g. axing DE); etc...

They better be glad there are not any alternatives. If there were I would switch my desktops and servers tomorrow. I am really mad with their handling of this and some other things they have done.

Just thinking out loud here...I recieved my notice from Microsoft yesterday to renew my Technet Subscription for $149.

I am going to take a guess that anyone whom was going to purchase an OEM copy of the WHS 2011 software would probably get a Technet subscription anyway. Is there really going to be a great need for an OEM version? An OEM version would probably cost the same as the Technet subscription and with the subscription you get so much more.

Just my 2 cents :)

Thanks. I think I will go ahead and join Technet. Per you and everyone else suggestions I agree that would be the way to go. Also I learned that with the subscription I have at least 10 retry's for loading the SW before I would have to make a call to MS. I will however not activate it until I think I have it up satisfactorily. Thanks.

Anyone else see Paul Thurrott's tweet a few hours ago? He mentioned that WHS2011 and SBS-E 2011 hardware will be coming from HP, Dell, Acer and Lenovo in late May or early June.

Anyone else see Paul Thurrott's tweet a few hours ago? He mentioned that WHS2011 and SBS-E 2011 hardware will be coming from HP, Dell, Acer and Lenovo in late May or early June.

I saw that and thought it was odd that HP would be coming out with a WHS2011 box after they publicly announced they were severing ties to WHS.

Sound great! Something to look forward to besides Thor :)