RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Any Word on Availability?

Aart

Just wondered if anyone has heard any word if and/or when WHS2011 will be available to the masses?

Nothing but the sound of crickets coming from Redmond.

Us "red-headed-step-children" (aka HP MediaSmart EX's, etc.) would like to know.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• geek-accountant

• kermi

• dagamer34

Just wondered if anyone has heard any word if and/or when WHS2011 will be available to the masses?

Us "red-headed-step-children" (aka HP MediaSmart EX's, etc.) would like to know.

This month is promising the OEM and System Builder release.

Of course, you can snag a leaked ISO for now and play around with it until the OEM keys go on sale. Then you can buy a key and activate it.

That's what I'm doing.

Wow, I guess I never thought about it not being out there for people to buy. I knew the pre-made solutions where not out yet, but thought the software was available. Just looked on Newegg and they don't have it and almost all the links to hardware on MS's site are no longer valid. Anyone know if it is normal for it to take this long?

Or, just go Technet and get it right now. Price of Technet will not be much more than the WHS2011 software.

Wow, I guess I never thought about it not being out there for people to buy. I knew the pre-made solutions where not out yet, but thought the software was available. Just looked on Newegg and they don't have it and almost all the links to hardware on MS's site are no longer valid. Anyone know if it is normal for it to take this long?

Or, just go Technet and get it right now. Price of Technet will not be much more than the WHS2011 software.

Considering pre-built solutions are promising mid-May for release, I'd wager OEM versions will be released around that time as well. Microsoft would likely want to release the OS to the public with some hardware available as well, makes for good PR with their partners.

I would love to know as well as other people who support friends, family members, and clients. I am gathering information on a WHS 2011 for a potential client but it is hard to offer a WHS 2011 solution when it is not for sale to the public. I am currently doing some research to get an idea on the ETA of selling WHS 2011 to the public. Once I find out, I will be post to this thread.

This month is promising the OEM and System Builder release.

Of course, you can snag a leaked ISO for now and play around with it until the OEM keys go on sale. Then you can buy a key and activate it.

That's what I'm doing.

Heh, I've developed a paranoid streak concerning downloading "leaked" OS .isos from the internet. Or any version from anywhere else than the vendors official stores. And it was really nice to see my paranoid tendencies proving to be right at Windows 7 Beta times (or was it RC), when people were downloading the .ISO from piratebay. Some nice gentlemen had downloaded the official .ISO, embedded malware to it and then sent it off to internet to spread. Instant botnet.

Heh, I've developed a paranoid streak concerning downloading "leaked" OS .isos from the internet. Or any version from anywhere else than the vendors official stores. And it was really nice to see my paranoid tendencies proving to be right at Windows 7 Beta times (or was it RC), when people were downloading the .ISO from piratebay. Some nice gentlemen had downloaded the official .ISO, embedded malware to it and then sent it off to internet to spread. Instant botnet.

Yep, smart enough to find the ISO, not smart enough to find the MD5 hash.

Yep, smart enough to find the ISO, not smart enough to find the MD5 hash.

Also complicating that fact, that there are no hashes of windows OEM medias on microsofts site.. Atleast none that i've ever managed to find.

Also complicating that fact, that there are no hashes of windows OEM medias on microsofts site.. Atleast none that i've ever managed to find.

Ah, there isn't a MD5 hash but there is a SHA1 hash on TechNet. It's under "details".

Ah, there isn't a MD5 hash but there is a SHA1 hash on TechNet. It's under "details".

Yes, but there are still quite a few windows images which don't have hash posted in the technet site.