RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New WHS-2011 Build

TechMule

Hi All,

New member here, first post, here goes...

I just built a new Server for WHS 2011.

Case: Antec Three Hundred ATX Mid Tower Computer Case + 430W Power Supply

MoBo: SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCM-F-O

RAM: Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

... ECC Unbuffered Server Memory Model KVR1333D3E9SK2/4G

CPU: Intel 2100 Core i3 CPU

Sys-HD: Western Digital RE4 WD5003ABYX 500GB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache - System Drive

Storage: 5 x WD 1.5T (WD15EARS) - Storage drives

eSata: Vantec sata card for eSata port Multiplier

... all running fine with WHS 2011 RTM installed. This system was purpose built as a mid level server with mostly all server class components (MB, RAM, System drive), except perhaps the WD grn drives & eSata card. For A/V in my house I have 2 - Squeeze Boxes, 2 - HD Tivos, 2 WDLive media Players.

Current v1 system is an Acer Aspire H340 w/ 4x1.5T - which is vastly under powered and I grow tired of headless systems. This may become a backup system, or it may hit the marketplace soon.

Previous system to the Acer was a frankenbuild - 2.4Ghz Celeron P4 / 1.5GB Ram / 300G + 4x500G via Promise Raid Cd, which I ran as a Win2003 domain Controler prior to WHS v1. All PATA drives and topped out at 2.3 TB. I ran this one for a while as a backup target. Recently I built a new Core-i7 DT system and wanted to use the Antec Sonata case, so this system got the Axe.

For backups I have two 4x eSata boxes - Rosewill and Mediasonic. I rotate these for nightly backups.

This is a great forum and PodCasts. I look forward to learning more about WHS here.

Edited by TechMule

Hi All,

New member here, first post, here goes...

I just built a new Server for WHS 2011.

Case: Antec Three Hundred ATX Mid Tower Computer Case + 430W Power Supply

MoBo: SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCM-F-O

RAM: Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

... ECC Unbuffered Server Memory Model KVR1333D3E9SK2/4G

CPU: Intel 2100 Core i3 CPU

Sys-HD: Western Digital RE4 WD5003ABYX 500GB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache - System Drive

Storage: 5 x WD 1.5T (WD15EARS) - Storage drives

eSata: Vantec sata card for eSata port Multiplier

... all running fine with WHS 2011 RTM installed. This system was purpose built as a mid level server with mostly all server class components (MB, RAM, System drive), except perhaps the WD grn drives & eSata card. For A/V in my house I have 2 - Squeeze Boxes, 2 - HD Tivos, 2 WDLive media Players.

*snip*

This is a great forum and PodCasts. I look forward to learning more about WHS here.

1) Love SuperMicro motherboards. I've been using them since the original Xeons and have found you get what you pay for with them. Solid, albeit unspectacular performance, but who wants to continuously monitor their server for overclocking? You just want it to work, and that is what SuperMicro has done for me. Maybe second only to my Tyan boards but that is more AMD realm.

2) Thought I was going to love the eSata card because I thought it was a pure port multiplier. Bzzt. Not a fan of SATA2 RAID cards, especially at that price point, especially with the quality ports already on your mobo. Doesn't sound like you really need that card right now. Maybe harsh, but I would've waited until I needed the extra drives and saved the $$$ to buy a good RAID card, or a simple port multiplier and connected to a 6Gbps board port.

3) Can't comment on the WD Green drives except to say they are sure well liked in this forum. I'm partial to the Samsung Spinpoints these days. Used to be a Seagate fanboy until recently they've started going all IBM Deathstar on me. I'd go with the WD Greens except my Samsungs have worked well and I'm in the "if it ain't broke" camp. (*note - this is before I flash the Samsung drives to work correctly with Home Server Smart. Apparently there is an issue with reading the SMART data on them, so I'll see if my opinion changes at all.)

Edited by timekills

Thanks for the comments.

Re: the sata card, It was an impulse buy at Microcenter. it was the only one they had with dual eSata II ports and PM and was only $29, so no big investment. My whole backup strategy is using these two 4x eSata boxes, so I needed a card sooner than later. In this case I wanted eSata to copy from my eSata box to the new server. Worked out fine. I usually get the Rosewill RC-219 w/ Sil-3132. I have no plans to use it for raid and I have no plans to buy Sata 3.0 drives, esp. on a server.

This is my first SM MB, and it's unspectacular in many ways, but seems to be a solid choice for an i3 SB build. I sure wouldn't mind a few more USB ports, 2 off the board is pretty skimpy.

OK, the Vantec eSata card went back to Microcenter.... I had to go to MC for more parts, so I pulled that card, boxed it up and returned it. It worked, but was an odd card, so back it went within the 30 day return. I ordered up a Rosewill RC-219 from Newegg which is a dedicated PM eSata card, no raid, no IDE, no internal ports.