RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Should I buy a NEW HP Mediasmart HS ??

Shepherd Jim

I was an early adopter and am still depending on the HP Mediasmart EX 475 Home Server I bought back as soon as they went on sale -- Service Pack 3 installed.

I've been listening to the Home Server Show Podcast intently since Microsoft announced they could not figure out how to include Drive Extender in the new version of the WHS software. I've known for decades that the MS engineers could not write an intelligible instruction manual, but it came as a great disappointment to learn they're obviously not so hot at software design either. ..anyway, that's another topic.

I'm an old dog with not a lot of time to fiddle around. I use my HP MS EX 475 to do nightly backups of the four computers on our home network. I also use the various "public" directories to maintain "pooled", common files. I have only three HD's installed -- 3 x 500 GB. Obviously, my storage size requirements have not been exorbitant.

1) Does it make the most sense for me to just continue on -- maybe installing a 2 TB fourth HD and replacing one of the 500 GBs with a second 2 TB?

2) OR, maybe to buy myself a little longer future with this "dying" hardware/software family, I should get a new HP Mediasmart EX (490?? 495??) while Amazon still has old inventory to sell (tho, I do note that there has not been any drop in prices due to HP's announcement of their dropping out of this segment altogether)

3) OR, maybe I should adopt the new Ver 2 WHS and get a whole new box and try to figure out "drive strategy" without my beloved Drive Extender.

Boy, I'm feeling old and tired! I'll welcome any suggestions and discussions. Jim

...a real shame. WHS was very close to being a "plug and play" appliance that you could recommend to Mom, Grandpa and the neighbor non-geeks -- at least as close as Microsoft would ever get. But, you pull out Drive Extender and it's a geek-only piece of hardware/software. I wonder how far Henry Ford would have gotten if, in the 2nd year of production, Ford had announced they were no longer going to sell their cars with a transmission or wheels?

It doesn't sound like you have a compelling reason to upgrade to WHS2011 right now. Based on what you have said I would just add a few bigger drives in the EX475 to increase the storage. I would definitely not buy another HP box to replace the one you have at this point.

I agree with the previous two comments. If you were going to new hardware, I would do a home build.

Thanks guys. You've reinforced what I'd suspected down deep. It was just that I knew that the HP MSS had improved a bunch with every iteration and I was worried that if I was going to hunker down for awhile while Drive Extender WhoHah blows over, that maybe hunkering with a newer MSS would have been a good idea.

I agree with the previous two comments. If you were going to new hardware, I would do a home build.

No, not for me. I guess I'm the kind of user that Microsoft should have gone after more energetically ...HP too. I just really wanted an appliance that I could just plug all the wires into, turn on and it would protect the home network's data.

Not to be repetitive but it sounds like you should stick with what you have. Although I agree it will be better to build your own there are other options now and I am sure there will be more in up coming months. With the limited data requirements you have it hang on to your existing hardware for as long as you can.

No, not for me. I guess I'm the kind of user that Microsoft should have gone after more energetically ...HP too. I just really wanted an appliance that I could just plug all the wires into, turn on and it would protect the home network's data.

In that case, if you were going to buy another, buy one of the new appliances. Tranquil has already released one and more will be coming.