RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Recommended hardware forum

Don W

As you wish.....

Recommended WHS Hardware

CPU - intel core i3-530 or i3-2100

MOBO - any H55 or H61, H67 that meets your needs. Asus and Gigabyte are BYOB's top picks

RAM - 2-4GB DDR3 1066 or 1333

PSU - Corsair or Coolermaster, anything with the power you need and has good reviews on the net.

HDD - Western Digital

SSD - OCZ vertex

Full tower case - Lian Li A71F

Mid tower case - Corsair 650D

Mini tower case - Lian Li V354

SFF case - Lian Li Q08 or Silverstone SUGO5

OEM boxes

HP Proliant Microserver

I'll pin this until the forum changes take effect

Is there a way that we can start a forum post and make it sticky that has subsections for recommended parts for building home servers. When I am building home servers for people I am always thinking to my self "What is the best case I should get", or "which motherboard/CPU combo should I get" and it would be nice if I could just come to the forums and the first topic would be sticky would be Recommended Hardware so it could be something like...

* WHS Builders Forum

* Recommended Hardware

* Cases

* Motherboards

* Powersupplies

And then people could add hardware they found that others could look at that they might want.

Don

silly me, I always went to the WHS builders forum and never looked at the hardware forum, I guess you already had subjects like I described, although I thought it would have been under the builders forum.

Thanks

Edited by no-control
Serving the people

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• timekills

• Joe_Miner

My fault on this one. I have an outline of the new forums layout and have yet to find the time to implement it. It will separate v1 from 2011 and create a little more organization around here. Sometime soon, i promise!

ASUS doesn't like installing drivers on Windows Server operating systems. I'd go with MSI instead.

ASUS doesn't like installing drivers on Windows Server operating systems. I'd go with MSI instead.

I read your other post on this, and at risk of sounding flippant, I'm not sure I agree with this comment. I have two Asus boards running WHSV1 and 2K8R2. Both had zero issue with driver install. Both are last-gen (1156) however, if that makes a difference.

I read your other post on this, and at risk of sounding flippant, I'm not sure I agree with this comment. I have two Asus boards running WHSV1 and 2K8R2. Both had zero issue with driver install. Both are last-gen (1156) however, if that makes a difference.

My 1155 Asus Sabertooth had issues. Nothing I am worried about, but it had issues. Didn't want to load chipset or audio drivers.

The Asus P8P67 Pro won't install onboard NIC drivers. :(

For PSU, I'd recommend nothing but Seasonic. In all the (~100) systems I've built using them, not a single one has caused problems...ever. I'm sure the others are good also, but Seasonic gets my vote every time.

Guest no-control

uhhhhh.....PICNIC?

I haven't had issues with drivers from Asus boards with my servers. What server OS and what driver on what board and what NIC? I would still take a gigabyte over an MSI. I have 2 MSI boards in front of me for new builds and while I have nothing negative to say (yet) I'm not impressed either.

uhhhhh.....PICNIC?

I haven't had issues with drivers from Asus boards with my servers. What server OS and what driver on what board and what NIC? I would still take a gigabyte over an MSI. I have 2 MSI boards in front of me for new builds and while I have nothing negative to say (yet) I'm not impressed either.

Heh. PEBCAK.

Guest no-control

Heh. PEBCAK.

RTFM

PIBCAK

ID:10T Error code

TSTO

RTFM

Mode error

It's a layer 8 issue

Sir is the service tag read one delta ten tango?

I have several of them, help desk yay!

Edited by no-control