RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Podcast 133, What do you think ?

diehard

Hi folks,

I was out this week to watch the game 7 of Montreal Canadians vs Boston Bruins hockey. Dave and Jim had a couple guest to fill in. This podcast is late! Dave was traveling this week and joined the show via a lousy Skype connection so there are audio issues throughout. That doesn’t mean it’s not a good show as we had Timothy Black (VinylFreak) and Mike Howard (GeekAccountant) join Jim and Dave to discuss the week’s news. We discuss the Vulkano review and get heavy into Media on this episode. We also hit the new segment of “Off Topic” again. It’s a great show, enjoy.

What do you think ?

Great show guys and it was good to hear Tim B. and Mike H. on the show. They add a different dimension to the show. I also would like to thank you guys for making me feel better about the audio mistakes and poor quality we just had on the BYOB. I was feeling bad until I heard the homeservershow.... All kidding aside, I did really enjoy the show. Datacore is of some interest to me even though I do not think this is for everyone. I will hopefully get to test it soon as I will have extra hardware when I retire my WHS V1 here very soon. When I return from vacation, V1 will be no more. Keep up the good work.

Good show, I liked the tangent brought up on a shared calandar. I myself, am in the middle of adding sharepoint services to my homeserver not only for the calandar but also for the document management. I already have my wife's and stepson's PCs using robocopy to sync to the server for remote document fetching but, this is mainly for my stepsons medical and school records. He is special needs and we are already at 2 4inch binders from doctors, therapist, and school ards that I am wanting to better manage. Would love to see if anyone else has gone down this road.

Good show, I liked the tangent brought up on a shared calandar. I myself, am in the middle of adding sharepoint services to my homeserver not only for the calandar but also for the document management. I already have my wife's and stepson's PCs using robocopy to sync to the server for remote document fetching but, this is mainly for my stepsons medical and school records. He is special needs and we are already at 2 4inch binders from doctors, therapist, and school ards that I am wanting to better manage. Would love to see if anyone else has gone down this road.

I have SharePoint running on my server.

Tangent. Yes, that describes the podcast pretty good! Maybe start up a new podcast called Tangent Tech!

Hey, are you saying I can't stay with one line of thinking and head off in many directions all the time? Maybe that is why I have 35 tabs in Chrome at the moment. :)

I have Sharepoint and SQL running on a Server 2008r2 VM and never thought about it for my main document management system. I am testing for Excel and Word type files but never even thought about it for my scans. Is Sharepoint a good alternative for handling 1,000's of scanned documents (ie, investment statements, credit card statements, etc) rather than using something like DA Document Manager? I have been testing a bunch of document management programs this weekend (see my post from yesterday) and right now the , leading system is FileCenter, but the price is making me continue to look. If it was under $100, I would have already purchased it and be done with the search.

And Dave, sign me up for the Tangent Tech podcast!

I obviously have not done much with Sharepoint given my question above, but before I spend the money on FileCenter, I am going to give SharePoint a good review. Would love to end up using it, since it has a much better price tab.

You might consider Office 365, there is a SharePoint component and it's a lot easier and less maintenance that doing it local.

Office 365 is an online product, right? Not sure I want copies of all my documents stored online (except via CrashPlan), although that might be an easier solution. Dang, diehard I was hoping to make a decision this weekend and now you just gave me something else to look into. :blink:

Tangent. Yes, that describes the podcast pretty good! Maybe start up a new podcast called Tangent Tech!

Hey! Variety is the Spice of life right? Tangents sometimes are very entertaining.

Tangent Tech! Sign Me Up!! ;-)

Uh What? I'm sorry I have to take my Ritalin right now.

What? were we talking about?