RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Highpoint Rocket RAID 2680 - Installation Issue?

JediTim

Completed my WHS 2011 build and utilized RAID for the first time. Using the IcyDock I had no issues and the OS is mirrored over the two drives...I also used the On-board RAID of my Gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3 MB to mirror 2TB drives for photos/music/documents etc. The last part was installing the RAID 5 array onto a Highpoint RocketRAID 2680 card.

I installed the card into an available PCI port, connected the five cables to the card and to the 2TB WD EARS drives. Following the instructions I:

- booted the computer,

- used the key combination <CTRL-H> to enter the RAID BIOS screen

- initialized the disks

- selected RAID 5

- named the drive array

- highlighted the target disks and selected

- left the capacity at 8TB

- under Cache Policy I left it at Write Back

- left the sector size alone

- highlighted Start Creation...this is where the manual is different from the application:

* Manual; Select Start Creation, press enter, press Y (yes) to create the array

* WHS action; Select Start Creation, choices are Background Initialization or No Initialization

After selecting Background Initialization it comes to a screen showing the RAID lever, name, capacity and status...the status is listed as uninitialized. The screen does not indicate that anything is being completed.

If I enter the Dashboard it does not indicate any drives being available. I attempted to load the RAID software but can't connect...it shows that I am unable to connect. The 2nd half of the software just doesn't show anything.

Am I supposed to wait while the "Background Initialization" is being completed...I know PCDoc indicated that it took 36 hours for the creation to be completed...I just wish the screen would say something so that I know it is being completed.

What could be, in anything, wrong? I want this to work before I proceed.

Thanks, Tim

When I click on the program for Highpoint Web RAID Management I get a message that it is being blocked by Internet Explored Enhanced Security Configuration. I figure I need to get past this but am not sure.

Tim

Completed my WHS 2011 build and utilized RAID for the first time. Using the IcyDock I had no issues and the OS is mirrored over the two drives...I also used the On-board RAID of my Gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3 MB to mirror 2TB drives for photos/music/documents etc. The last part was installing the RAID 5 array onto a Highpoint RocketRAID 2680 card.

I installed the card into an available PCI port, connected the five cables to the card and to the 2TB WD EARS drives. Following the instructions I:

- booted the computer,

- used the key combination <CTRL-H> to enter the RAID BIOS screen

- initialized the disks

- selected RAID 5

- named the drive array

- highlighted the target disks and selected

- left the capacity at 8TB

- under Cache Policy I left it at Write Back

- left the sector size alone

- highlighted Start Creation...this is where the manual is different from the application:

* Manual; Select Start Creation, press enter, press Y (yes) to create the array

* WHS action; Select Start Creation, choices are Background Initialization or No Initialization

After selecting Background Initialization it comes to a screen showing the RAID lever, name, capacity and status...the status is listed as uninitialized. The screen does not indicate that anything is being completed.

If I enter the Dashboard it does not indicate any drives being available. I attempted to load the RAID software but can't connect...it shows that I am unable to connect. The 2nd half of the software just doesn't show anything.

Am I supposed to wait while the "Background Initialization" is being completed...I know PCDoc indicated that it took 36 hours for the creation to be completed...I just wish the screen would say something so that I know it is being completed.

What could be, in anything, wrong? I want this to work before I proceed.

Thanks, Tim

The first thing you have to install the windows software and drivers. The next thing you have to do is go into the disk management. RDP in as an admin, go the drive management, and initialize the volume. You should now see your 8T volume. Remember you can NOT do this from the dashboard, it will chop it up into 2T chunks. Once initialized, the background process will continue for a few days (although you can use the volume and copy stuff to it) or you can go into the web manager and change it to foreground which will cut it down to about 7 hours. The browser security has to be changed on some systems to access the web GUI. Make sure that you check the device manager and that you system is recognizing the card otherwise it will not be detected. The golden rule on RAID in WHS (or any OS) is everything is done from the disk management not the dashboard. You will be able to use it form the dashboard but not initialize or partition creation. Good luck and let us know if that worked. It sound like you are only missing one key part which you will find in drive management.

• Like 1

The first thing you have to install the windows software and drivers. The next thing you have to do is go into the disk management. RDP in as an admin, go the drive management, and initialize the volume. You should now see your 8T volume. Remember you can NOT do this from the dashboard, it will chop it up into 2T chunks. Once initialized, the background process will continue for a few days (although you can use the volume and copy stuff to it) or you can go into the web manager and change it to foreground which will cut it down to about 7 hours. The browser security has to be changed on some systems to access the web GUI. Make sure that you check the device manager and that you system is recognizing the card otherwise it will not be detected. The golden rule on RAID in WHS (or any OS) is everything is done from the disk management not the dashboard. You will be able to use it form the dashboard but not initialize or partition creation. Good luck and let us know if that worked. It sound like you are only missing one key part which you will find in drive management.

Thanks...knew I was missing something. I installed the driver and then ensured it was the most current from the Highpoint website. Now the disk is showing in Disk Management. When I go into Disk Management it does show the 8T volume (7451.75 GB) but it shows it as 2 partitions...a 2048.00 GB Unallocated sector and a 5403.75 GB Unallocated sector. Obviously I want to get the drive as a full vloume but when I right click on the first volume it will only let me create a maximum disk space of 2097150 MB.

Secondly, I can't access the HighPoint Web RAID Management software. Now it tells me that there is a problem with the website's security certificate and gives me two options:

• Click here to close this webpage.
  • Continue to this website (not recommended).

When I click on "Continue to this website (not recommended)" it states "no administrator 1.5.6"

How do I get into the software...I tried a couple of security changes but don't want to mess anything up at this point.

Tim

Tim

Your thread couldn't be timed better. I'm in the process (since Friday night) of moving 10TB of data from 8-2TB EADS drives that I will be using to create a RAID5 array (my first as well) with the RocketRAID 2680. Hopefully my data will be moved by tonight and I'll start the WHS2011 install on a seperate 500GB WD Black and use a few EARS drives for critical data and backups. My 14T RAID5 will be for Video only.

User guide with card has Revision 1.0 but website has Revision 1.1 (May 2010)

Questions:

HighPoint has a few downloads on there site which are probably newer than CD:

RocketRAID 2680 downloads

1) BIOS v1.1 (I'll use this obviously)

2) Device Driver v1.5 (Are you using the Windows 7 version)

3) RAID Management Utility

3a) WebGUI v1.56 gives a 404.0 - Not Found message

3b) GUI Based (GUI Windows v3. 14-5) Are you installing this? How are you accessing the card through your browser?

Thanks and good luck

Thanks...knew I was missing something. I installed the driver and then ensured it was the most current from the Highpoint website. Now the disk is showing in Disk Management. When I go into Disk Management it does show the 8T volume (7451.75 GB) but it shows it as 2 partitions...a 2048.00 GB Unallocated sector and a 5403.75 GB Unallocated sector. Obviously I want to get the drive as a full vloume but when I right click on the first volume it will only let me create a maximum disk space of 2097150 MB.

Secondly, I can't access the HighPoint Web RAID Management software. Now it tells me that there is a problem with the website's security certificate and gives me two options:

• Click here to close this webpage.
  • Continue to this website (not recommended).

When I click on "Continue to this website (not recommended)" it states "no administrator 1.5.6"

How do I get into the software...I tried a couple of security changes but don't want to mess anything up at this point.

Tim

You need to run the software as an admin. Righ click on the icon and select run as an admin (make sure also you are logged in as an admin). Then you can hit "continue" and you should be good to go. Your partition was hosed by the dashboard or by not selcting GPT when you created it. Remember you can not use the dashboard for creating the drive. Go back into the the "Disk management" from the desktop of your server (RDP or direct) as an admin. Delete all partitions on the array. When you are done and you see the 8T as not allocated, recreate it and look carefully at the prompt it will ask you for and MBR or GPT. To create a drive larger than 2T, it has to be GPT. If you select MBR, you will get only a 2T. Once you recreated it, you will see your 8T in all its glory.

• Like 1

Tim

Your thread couldn't be timed better. I'm in the process (since Friday night) of moving 10TB of data from 8-2TB EADS drives that I will be using to create a RAID5 array (my first as well) with the RocketRAID 2680. Hopefully my data will be moved by tonight and I'll start the WHS2011 install on a seperate 500GB WD Black and use a few EARS drives for critical data and backups. My 14T RAID5 will be for Video only.

User guide with card has Revision 1.0 but website has Revision 1.1 (May 2010)

Questions:

HighPoint has a few downloads on there site which are probably newer than CD:

RocketRAID 2680 downloads

1) BIOS v1.1 (I'll use this obviously)

2) Device Driver v1.5 (Are you using the Windows 7 version)

3) RAID Management Utility

3a) WebGUI v1.56 gives a 404.0 - Not Found message

3b) GUI Based (GUI Windows v3. 14-5) Are you installing this? How are you accessing the card through your browser?

Thanks and good luck

I ended up using what was supplied with the card for the initial install and to get past the learning curve. Once I had everything running and got real familiar with it I updated the firmware, drivers, and web gui. Honestly, there is no differece and I had no issues at all using the supplied drivers.

This probably will not help some of you who are building right now but I will be building a new server soon using a 2680 and will do a video on how to do it step by step. It can be a bit intimidating the first time but you will find when you are done that it is not that difficult and you will all be experts after your first one. Expect something in the next few weeks when I rip down and rebuild by V1 server and upgrade it to 2011.

This probably will not help some of you who are building right now but I will be building a new server soon using a 2680 and will do a video on how to do it step by step. It can be a bit intimidating the first time but you will find when you are done that it is not that difficult and you will all be experts after your first one. Expect something in the next few weeks when I rip down and rebuild by V1 server and upgrade it to 2011.

I will be looking forward to that video walk through.

You need to run the software as an admin. Righ click on the icon and select run as an admin (make sure also you are logged in as an admin). Then you can hit "continue" and you should be good to go. Your partition was hosed by the dashboard or by not selcting GPT when you created it. Remember you can not use the dashboard for creating the drive. Go back into the the "Disk management" from the desktop of your server (RDP or direct) as an admin. Delete all partitions on the array. When you are done and you see the 8T as not allocated, recreate it and look carefully at the prompt it will ask you for and MBR or GPT. To create a drive larger than 2T, it has to be GPT. If you select MBR, you will get only a 2T. Once you recreated it, you will see your 8T in all its glory.

Ok I'll delete the partition and recreate. I don't recall creating the partition in the first place but I probably screwed it up somewhere. I did try to get into the program by right clicking and running as an administrator...no luck. The only current account is the administrator account and I am trying from both a RDP connection and for the WHS itself.

Totally confused as to why I can't access?