RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Should I Stay, or Should I Go... Back

Don W

About two months ago I converted from my Frakenbuild to a HP EX490 and I am wondering if I should go back to the Frakenbuild. If I would have known then what I know now, I would not have bought a headless unit, it is so much easier hooking up a monitor to install the server OS.

As I said my EX490 has a 2.2 GHz Celeron, and 2 GB RAM.

My Frakenbuild is a ASUS M2NPV-VM motherboard, AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual Core 4800+ CPU (2.5 GHz), and 4GB Corsair RAM.

I stream a lot to my AppleTV and to my iPad and iPods.

What do you all think???

TIA

Don

Edited by donwieber

I have the EX490 and found that the HP Video Conversion process brought my server down to a crawl. I ended up getting a E5400 CPU from Tim Daleo and did the upgrade. It made CPU usage a lot better.

As for the Server Recovery, I don't like how HP does that process, it was a lot easier with the way the EX470 did it with the internal USB flash to start the restore. I ended up creating a small bootable USB thumb drive ( all you need is 256meg) this make Server Recovery a lot less complicated. If you want to go this way, PM me and I'll send you the files.

With 4 2TB drives, this box is enough for my needs.

Installing WHS2011 on this box requires some know how, and you end up loosing the HP blue lights, because that is HP software, not Windows WHS2011.

But that's just me. :)

About two months ago I converted from my Frakenbuild to a HP EX490 and I am wondering if I should go back to the Frakenbuild. If I would have known then what I know now, I would not have bought a headless unit, it is so much easier hooking up a monitor to install the server OS.

As I said my EX490 has a 2.2 GHz Celeron, and 2 GB RAM.

My Frakenbuild is a ASUS M2NPV-VM motherboard, AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual Core 4800+ CPU (2.5 GHz), and 4GB Corsair RAM.

I stream a lot to my AppleTV and to my iPad and iPods.

What do you all think???

TIA

Don

Personally I would go back to your home build. This will put you in a better place if and when you upgrade to 2011. It also makes things like motherboard and cpu upgrades much easier as well as having power to spare.

I have the EX490 and found that the HP Video Conversion process brought my server down to a crawl. I ended up getting a E5400 CPU from Tim Daleo and did the upgrade. It made CPU usage a lot better.

As for the Server Recovery, I don't like how HP does that process, it was a lot easier with the way the EX470 did it with the internal USB flash to start the restore. I ended up creating a small bootable USB thumb drive ( all you need is 256meg) this make Server Recovery a lot less complicated. If you want to go this way, PM me and I'll send you the files.

With 4 2TB drives, this box is enough for my needs.

Installing WHS2011 on this box requires some know how, and you end up loosing the HP blue lights, because that is HP software, not Windows WHS2011.

But that's just me. :)

Yep, stay FAR FAR away from HP's Server Restore. It's a total pain in the ass.

Personally I would go back to your home build. This will put you in a better place if and when you upgrade to 2011. It also makes things like motherboard and cpu upgrades much easier as well as having power to spare.

This can't be said enough.